Different OS X installation methods

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by fletch33, Aug 28, 2008.

1. fletch33

fletch33

Which OSX Version Worked Best for You?

i thought it would be helpful to post:

1. what version machine do you have?
    2. what OSX versions have you tried? is there a good guide?
    3. what version worked best for you?
    4. what problems have you not been able to solve with that version?
    5. any tips or tricks you learned along the way?

ok i will start :)

1. Aspire One ZG5 comes with 120GB SATA HDD, 1GB RAM, and XP
    2. i have only tried iATKOS_4i and i followed the guide by SbM located here.
    3. only tried the one above
    4. i have just installed it but so far the only problem has been that when i hit "shut down" i get the fatal error that i need to shut down my machine. i know there are more that i have read about already but i have not yet had the time to get into it and find them yet.
    5. YES!!!

-instead of trying to figure out how to install the .kext files with all the terminal commands just go and get Kext Helper and you can just drag and drop them all at once or one at a time. this was a lifesaver for me.

- if you are going to keep a windows partition as i did you can speed up your XP side tremendously by getting and installing a lighter version of XP. you will have to google around to find one if you don't know what i am talking about google "xp lite" to learn more. i did this as i usually do with any of my XP machines and it added a huge performance boost. you will have to install the 4 or 5 Aspire drivers for things like the video card, sound etc.. yourself afterwards.

hope this helps people decide which version is best for them as it develops

good luck

fletch33, Aug 28, 2008
  2. fletch33

hongcho

Re: Which OSX Version Worked Best for You?

Acer Aspire One 150-1006 (1GB, 120GB, XP Home, white, 3-cell)

I've tried MSIWindOSx86, Kalyway + Paul's Guide and iATKOS i4r, so far. My notes are http://aspireone150.wikispaces.com/5.+O ... Aspire+One

I am sticking with MSIWindOSx86 for now. It was easiest.

With all of the versions, sleep does not work. It just reboots when you tries to go to sleep.

Not really... Well, the boot option "cpus=1" for the vanilla kernel if it reboots before the blue screen.

Hong.

hongcho, Aug 28, 2008
  3. fletch33

denshaotoko808

Can someone explain the pros and cons of all of these different OS X installation methods?

I haven't seen a comprehensive guide to which one is the best. My AAO will be here tomorrow and I plan to spend the weekend playing around with it.

I've read about Kalyway, 132 , iATKOS, Chameleon etc. I am just confused as to which one I should go with. Any advice from the folks here would be appreciated :)

denshaotoko808, Sep 26, 2008
  4. fletch33

liquidtwitch

iAtkos v4 duel boot with xp worked really well for me, no problems with an external wireless dongle.

i installed with an external hardrive caddy hooked up to a dvd drive, couldn't tell you what its like installing from usb.

keep in mind that sleep/internal wifi (without replacement) and mic in don't work with any release thus far.

liquidtwitch, Sep 28, 2008
  5. fletch33

denshaotoko808

Thanks for bumping this Fletch!

I just got my AAO this weekend so I've been slowly playing around with it. The biggest problem I had was getting the hidden erecovery volume to be visible so I can copy it's contents. I tried many things but nothing worked. I have a clone of it by using ghost but I still cannot get to it's contents. I got frustrated and decided to just wipe the drive so I could try getting OSX on there.

Black Aspire One / 160 HD /1gig RAM / 6 cell battery

iAtkosv4. It's a good guide. At least it isn't 10 pages long with so many edits and different versions of things to read through.

I haven't tried anything else yet, but will soon.

Sleep is the biggest problem that I found. I had to set Energy settings to never sleep or you're hosed. But I'm sure someone will figure it out somehow.

Format your drive as MBR if you plan on dual booting into XP. I'm trying to install Linpus in dual boot with OSX but haven't figured out how to do it just yet.

denshaotoko808, Sep 30, 2008
  6. fletch33

SbM

Re: Which OSX Version Worked Best for You?

White AOA110, purchased on the 12th of July, 2008 (came with 8GB SSD and 512MB RAM)

Kalyway, JaS, iATKOS. Some say my installation guide for iATKOS is useful ;) (viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1505)

iATKOS, obviously. Among other issues, Kalyway wouldn't display the battery meter and JaS was just a PITA to configure.

cf. my installation guide.

Before installing anything on a hackintosh: backup, backup, backup! Oh, and... backup once more ;)

SbM, Oct 1, 2008
Ask a Question