Difference between Laptop and Notebook

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by CrypticRyderr, Dec 14, 2013.

1. CrypticRyderr

CrypticRyderr

What's the difference between a laptop and a notebook - specifically the Acer Aspire A1-572 15.6-inch notebook. As this claims to be a notebook yet in my opinion - which comes from zero computing knoweledge - it shows all the properties of a laptop: high Ram, storage, i5.....?

Acer Aspire E1-572 15.6-inch Notebook

CrypticRyderr, Dec 14, 2013
  2. CrypticRyderr

Brian8gbSSDLinux

I may be wrong, but I have always understood that the difference between a Laptop and Notebook was due to British/ American differences in the way of looking at things...
    like the Americans have a 'Trunk' on a car whereas Brits have a 'Boot' on a car
    something to do with their originally strapping a luggage 'trunk' on the back of the early cars, Brits designed their cars with a built-in waterproof compartment which - got called a 'boot'

Early Portable computer (after 'Lug-ables') could be used on the Lap... (sometimes) so the Americans called them Laptops.

We Brits looked at the 'folding computer' and called them Notebooks 'cos they close like a book...

Anyone else got any other plausible reasons???

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Dec 16, 2013
  3. CrypticRyderr

LivetoErr

I too, think their is little to no difference between the two.

I say both laptop and notebook which could be due to the fact that I am Canadian (Canadians use British English) but very heavily American influenced.

However, a google search says I am wrong. A laptop is usually heavier, has an internal DVD drive, higher processing speed, larger screen size options, etc.

Mine has all that so I guess it's a laptop. *shrug*

LivetoErr, Jan 16, 2014
  4. CrypticRyderr

OhioTom76

When "notebooks" first came out, they had a niche market. They were small, lightweight and inexpensive - but also nowhere near as powerful as a full fledged laptop. They were basically stripped down inexpensive lightweight laptops. They were fine for doing basic stuff like checking emails on the go, and were also easy on their battery life.

You're correct that there is not much of a difference these days between a "notebook" and a laptop, since hardware costs have gone down and manufacturers can pack a lot more power into a small lightweight system at a reasonable price. For a period of time, these higher end mini systems also had a name of their own too - "ultrabook" - but that has gone away as well.

OhioTom76, Feb 25, 2014
  5. CrypticRyderr

Sefie

I wanted to post the same question some days ago, sad to see this question hasn't gotten a more clear answer :( I'm trying to apply for an online teaching job that requires teachers to have a laptop and not a notebook. I read the difference between those two is the fact laptops have almost all the capabilities an average PC has, but I could be mistake; you can't always believe everything you read on the internet.

Sefie, Feb 28, 2014
  6. CrypticRyderr

jwalk

I'm not quite sure but I don't think there is much difference between a laptop and a notebook. Not that I can see, anyway. Laptops might be a bit bigger but apart from that they are very similar.

jwalk, Mar 5, 2014
  7. CrypticRyderr

Patrick Shah

I believe it is the same and people just called it differently. A laptop has the same features compared to a notebook.
    A netbook however is something smaller and offers lesser processing speed. It also depends on how you called it. Notebooks and laptops has sizes from 11 inch to 14 inches.

Patrick Shah, Mar 30, 2014
  8. CrypticRyderr

NeroFerk

I always thought that notebooks were mainly used for social networking and laptops were for games. I could be wrong though.

NeroFerk, Apr 5, 2014
  9. CrypticRyderr

babyleans

i dont think there is any difference between laptop and notebook. the difference is between laptop and NETbook which means a "mini-laptop".

babyleans, Apr 7, 2014
  10. CrypticRyderr

mikelouis

I have always known them to be the same thing but just different terminologies just like we have lift and elevator.

mikelouis, Apr 7, 2014
Ask a Question