Did I ruin my keyboard?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by rechu, Nov 10, 2014.

1. rechu

rechu

So, a little while back, the R key on my Acer netbook stopped working properly. You had to hit it hard several times to get it to type. My husband took the key off and cleaned it, but that did´t help much. I had some electronic contact cleaner and did some searches that seemed to indicate it was safe to clean a keyboard so I tried that, just spraying a small amount by the R.

Well, it turns out that I made the problem worse. Some of the keys to the right side of the keyboard don´t type at all even though I didn't use the spray in that area. And, every so often when you put the cursor in a search box or in a word document it automatically types rrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. It stops doing that when I type the F key.

Right now it still works with an external keyboard, but it is kind of awkward. Any help in getting my keyboard back in working order would really be appreciated. My husband is blaming me for ruining it. Thanks.

rechu, Nov 10, 2014
  2. rechu

Brian8gbSSDLinux

Looks like it... but HE took the key cap off first... lol.
    Spraying around the [R] key, to the left... shouldn't affect keys to the right side... Unless you need new Specs - from SpecSavers.

Has anyone had the computer apart recently? the keyboard connectors are usually held in place by a 'Flip up' clip... if that wasn't properly closed... it could have allowed the ribbon cable to partly move... doing exactly what you said...

Look at the top of the keyboard... between the keys and the plastic frame around it... there is usually 4 (four) clips holding the keyboard in place...

A small screwdriver blade slid into the gap, next to a clip - will push the keyboard away from the plastic - allowing it to be lifted slightly. Start at the left side if right handed and work towards the right... Be careful - very, very careful...

Check that the ribbon cable IS in place... if it is correctly aligned... you probably need a new keyboard...

Google your EXACT mode Number and Location... a US keyboard has a different layout to an UK keyboard.
    Google that info AND keyboard replacement in your Browser search program.... there should be keyboards AND videos showing HOW TO do the replacement - including how to 'Ease the keyboard out of the computer' as I typed above..

I hope this is useful...

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Nov 11, 2014
  3. rechu

rechu

Ha ha, Brian, you are right. He did start it. I had my doubts that the spray on one side really could affect the other part of the keyboard. I am not sure if I am daring enough to check the ribbon myself, but I just remembered I know someone that may be able to help me try that and see how it looks. So, I am going to get in touch with him. Thanks for your help.

rechu, Nov 11, 2014
  4. rechu

Hozyboy

This is common with anything with buttons. Maybe they have sank or moved from their original position. Just take it to a shop that is reliable in making laptops. Tell them the problem and for a day the problem will be solved.

Hozyboy, Feb 16, 2016
  5. rechu

djtech

Most of my experiences with laptop keyboard repairs have not ended well. Now, I generally just check for dirt, check that the keyboard connection is fine, and if it is, I just go ahead an buy a replacement keyboard. They don't cost much and frankly its the best thing to do anyways. Also, I would recommend that if you use your laptop for gaming or heavy typing, use a usb keyboard. Laptops are simply not meant to take the kind of punishment that heavy tasks entail. I am writing this using an external usb desktop keyboard that is as tough as they come. Mainly because I seemed to get a little too excited while writing certain things, and then some key would simply stop working. So, just replace it with another one.

djtech, Feb 18, 2016
  6. rechu

vinaya

Couple of keys are missing on my laptop. Recently, I went to a laptop repair shop and asked about replacing keyboard. Since some people say after you replace keyboard there can be problems with typing as the laptop does not connects well with the keyboard. I was in doubt, thus I asked him. He said there will be no problem in replacing keyboard. How true is this.

vinaya, Apr 4, 2016
  7. rechu

SirJoe

There shouldn't be a problem, if the keyboard is the correct one for the computer, it's all a question of taking the one out and replacing it with the other. It's probably one of the easier repairs.

SirJoe, Apr 6, 2016
Ask a Question