desktop theme reverts at reboot

Discussion in 'Windows' started by fleen, Jan 16, 2009.

1. fleen

fleen

Hello All
    This is probably an os issue but may be specific to Asus`s build of xp home...
    I have had zero problems with my aoa-150-1576 out of the box...except for the desktop theme keeps reverting to Windows XP( have it set to Widows Classic). I have tried saving my own theme and making the changes in safe mode but every time I reboot it goes back to Windows Xp. I have never had this issue before on any xp pro machine but I am not familiar with xp home. I did notice also the when I right-click my computer-properties-advanced it shows two profiles,administrator and my profile, although I do not log on and I did not specify an Administrator account when I installed the os out of the box(I am the only user of the machine).Looking in user accounts (start-control panel-user accounts) shows only one (my) account as computer administrator.Is this normal? I dont see 2 user profiles on any of my other xp pro boxes.
    Thanks

fleen, Jan 16, 2009
  2. fleen

plug_it

I have the same issue on my AOA110-1834 and it is really raising my blood pressure.

Have you found a solution for this?

plug_it

plug_it, Feb 8, 2009
  3. fleen

plug_it

Sweet, I managed to figure it out myself!

Apparently this problem only appears when there is a USB device installed in the computer. I have a Logitech Nano Receiver for my wireless mouse installed in the computer at all times. Without the Nano Receiver, my Windows Theme stays "Classic Style" instead of reverting to the hideous and migraine-inducing "XP Style".

Found on a different forum, here's how to fix this insidious source of frustration once and for good. It worked for me:

Windows classic style changes at start up to XP style - Wesley Vogel
    16-Feb-07 04:22:08

Almost any theme other than Windows Classic needs the Themes service
    running. Windows Classic theme does not need the Themes service running.
    Disable the Themes service.

Open Services...
    Start | Run | Type: services.msc | Click OK |
    Scroll down to and double click Themes | Click the V next to Startup type |
    Select Disabled | Click the Apply button | Click the Stop button |
    When the Themes service has stopped, click OK | Close Services

With the Themes service disabled, Windows XP will not even listed on Display
    Properties, Themes tab, Theme list.

--
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

plug_it, Feb 8, 2009
Ask a Question