Desktop or Laptop

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by Jack Torrance, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Jack Torrance

Jack Torrance

I have 12 year-old desktop. I want to buy a new computer (ASUS Zenbook most probably). I can't decide which one I should choose. Desktop or Laptop.

I download all-day sometimes day and night so I leave my computer open. Will a Laptop get hot and break down when I use like that?

Jack Torrance, Apr 29, 2016
  2. Jack Torrance

nytegeek

It depends on the laptop. I'm curious of what you could be doing that require frequent downloads that last so long. You might want to invest in a server setup, unless your downloads are taking so long because of a slow or poor connection to the internet.

nytegeek, Apr 30, 2016
  3. Jack Torrance

Corzhens

Gee, that's a mighty old desktop you have there. Ours is a 6-year old desktop and we thought it's already in the vintage league. My husband is also scouting for a replacement and in my previous posts, he would have settled for a laptop for its mobility. But last Thursday night, we attended a product presentation of HP and he is desiring the desktop mini of HP. Although we still have to ask for a formal quotation, the estimate is $750 for a basic set with 500 GB of HDD (my husband prefers SSD).

Corzhens, Apr 30, 2016
  4. Jack Torrance

Jack Torrance

Movies, TV Series, Music.

"It depends on the laptop" How?

What laptops does work?

What laptops doesn't work?

Jack Torrance, Apr 30, 2016
  5. Jack Torrance

Sm0key

Due to my lack of living space at the moment. I'm forced to go with laptops. However, I go for bigger laptops that act as desktop replacements, such as my good ol' Asus G750JZ. :)

Sm0key, Apr 30, 2016
  6. Jack Torrance

sparkster

I don't exactly have much room as I'm living in a shared house so my computer and things like that are pretty much limited to my bedroom which isn't exactly that big. I would probably be more comfortable using a desktop PC at home but given my current situation, a laptop is probably more appropriate and that's exactly what I'm using. I may think about getting a desktop PC once I've got my own place.

sparkster, May 1, 2016
  7. Jack Torrance

Vash

It depends on a few things.
    Would you like to carry your computer around? If so, then a laptop will serve you better. If not at all, then just go with another desktop.
    Downloading alone should not make a laptop go overheat. It is the more intense tasks such as gaming making it hot.

Since you have said that your main use for the computer is for movies, TV series, and music, then any low budget computer will do you fine. Nowadays you can get decent laptops in the $300~500 range. But then again, you will need external storage for all the stuff you have downloaded and will be downloading, since laptop can only have a single hard drive in most cases and it is not that large for nonstop downloading.

So if you are fine with keep your computer stationary for long term, then I'd recommend a desktop which you can easily chose larger and more hard drives (unless you prefer to keep your stuff on external storage).

Vash, May 14, 2016
  8. Jack Torrance

gmckeebiz

I don't know if I could really pick a preference. I love the extra features you can get on a desktop like great speakers and a much larger screens. On the other hand, you can't beat the portability and convenience of being able to take your work and entertainment anywhere like you can with a laptop. So I guess if I had to pick I'd go with a laptop. But there are definitely positives to both. Which is why I own both.

gmckeebiz, May 14, 2016
  9. Jack Torrance

nytegeek

The features you mentioned are not restricted to desktops.

nytegeek, May 15, 2016
  10. Jack Torrance

obliviousme

I'd definitely go with the laptop. It's portable, so there's the main advantage of a laptop over a desktop. Also whatever things you can do on your desktop can be done on a laptop as well.

obliviousme, May 15, 2016
  11. Jack Torrance

queenne

Personally i would go with a laptop.but it depends on if you want something more stationary.You could take the laptop everywhere,work,school e.t.c whereas the desktop is just there but it all depends on what you would like it for.

queenne, May 16, 2016
  12. Jack Torrance

psanch

A 12-year old desktop!! That's pretty old. I use a desktop myself but it's about 3 years old now. I think your choice of new computer should depend on how mobile you're going to be with it and exactly what you're using it for. I use mine for work which requires some heavy processing power. Laptops offering the same performance are significantly more expensive than the desktop I'm using. Looks like a laptop will work best for you though.

psanch, May 16, 2016
  13. Jack Torrance

IcyBC

My preference would be the laptop for easy portability! If you don't have the need to carry around or the freedom to sit wherever, a desktop is fine too. Depending on what you are comfortable with and what you would use it for, you know best what suits you.

IcyBC, May 16, 2016
Ask a Question