Desktop availability in the future?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by IBMPC8088, Mar 17, 2016.

1. IBMPC8088

IBMPC8088

This is kind of both on-topic and not, but I'm wondering what he availability of desktops will be like in the future.

Will they stil exist but for a significantly lesser price? Or will all of these mobile market devices push the cost of it up since it's more useful and of better quality than anything released in reduced/mobilw/tablet form?

I was at the store the other dayand I saw that the only thing they were carrying were laptops and reduced-usability virtual terminals ("chromebooks" and "cloudbooks", neither of which would I ever buy or use). When asking whether they carried desktops, the clerk loked at me as if they almost didn't know what I was asking them about. Then they said: "Oh, we don't really carry those anymore, but we still have laptops."

All of the laptops that were of any value were significantly higher priced than the ones from a year or two ago that were more universal. The ones that were lesser-priced but not useless chromebooks still had limitations I would not buy them for: manufacturer built the battery and hard drive into the case, forced combo-jacks onto the sides of the lapop where two separate audio ports should still be, and there were other limitations beyond that.

Why would the manufacturer think I would want to buy any of that? Is it because so many people have settled for and bought lesser devices like tablets with keyboards and were convinced those were "laptops" when they're not? Is it because people don't use computers for computing purposes and only lamestream stuff by majority? Do they believe that laptops will replace the reliability of desktops and servers, and the computing power we have from them?

I've been in a state of shock and horror as to what the technology has started to become commercially, and I am starting to worry about the long-term availability, market, and state of technology as a whole beyond the private sector with what I'm seeing out there.

What are your thoughts on this?

IBMPC8088, Mar 17, 2016
Ask a Question