The laptop would only turn on for about 10 seconds then shot off. First thing I did was to buy a new charger. I let it charge for a day. I was able to use the computer for about ten minutes then it shut down. I let it charge again and this time I got a message that the charger was not recognized. I tried the charger in a different computer and it worked fine. The next step was that a bought a new battery from Dell. Before I installed the battery I held the power button for about 30 seconds to get rid of any stored power in the system. I installed the battery and tried to power up the system. Nothing happened no power light , nothing at all. 1 of my questions is will the computer power up without the battery being installed 2 could it be the dc jack that the power unit plugs into. My laptop is only about a year and a half old out of warranty.