Dell DW1390 on osx86

Discussion in 'Networking' started by psx22, Feb 3, 2009.

1. psx22

psx22

Hey all. I have checked through the forums and searched just for insurance. I have OSX86 Kalyway 10.5.5 installed on an Acer Aspire One netbook. Everything but the card reader is working. I recently purchased a Dell DW1390 and put it in place of the atheros wifi chip. OSX noticed that the chip is there and shows the airport monitor on the menu bar. My problem is I cannot connect to my wireless router while wep is on. I can connect on all my other devices with my wep key. The window says connecting to network, then "connection failed". I can connect fine without wep. Anyone else have this problem or figure out a solution?

psx22, Feb 3, 2009
  2. psx22

jknights

I'm intending to do this to my AAO but havent done it yet.
    The WLAN drivers for the Atheros seem to be flaky under Linux especially when WEP any form is used but since I havent installed OSX on mine yet I have no experience of this.

I know that under Ubuntu 8.10 I could connect but I needed to switch of WEP. With Fedora 10 I can use WEP but only in 64bit mode not 128bit and definitely not using a 128bit passphrase.

jknights, Feb 10, 2009
  3. psx22

psx22

I bought a new wireless router, because mine* was extremely old. I am now using WPA because it is better. The DW1390 has no issues connecting to my router now with WPA. For those still using WEP, my only suggestion would be to aquire a router that has WPA compatibility. Sorry I have no other info. It may just be an issue with MAC OS X with this card. Good luck to all!

psx22, Feb 14, 2009
  4. psx22

briviere

Hi every body.

Do you thinks this one will be compliant :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... otohosting

The wireless card is taken from original Laptop and 100% functional tested before sending to buyer.
    Interface Card :Mini PCI
    Warranty Period : 120 Days Warranty and Guarantee
    Compatible with Model : Dell E1505
    Compatible with P/N: DW 1390

Thanks.

briviere, Feb 17, 2009
  5. psx22

psx22

If it is compatible with p/n DW1390 then I would guess that it would work. I'd do a little google searching to find a list of compatible cards though. I don't think I remember seeing that one on the list. As for a small update on my situation...I believe my old wireless router was doing something different with WEP encryption. I setup my new router as I started earlier, and WPA won't work on my old ibooks that my dad and I mess around with. I tried WEP on the new router just to see the setup, and it still works with the ibooks, and the part I found funny about it all, is that it works with my Acer OSX86 as well. Oh well, I went back to WPA / WPA2 anyway. Just glad they both work now in case.

psx22, Feb 26, 2009
Ask a Question