Delete Unused Files+Programs

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by steveK, Oct 14, 2008.

1. steveK

steveK

For all those who arent aware large files like videos and software programs can have a huge impact on certain functions and internet speed. I just did a thorough clean up of my computer today,erasing many vids ,pics and a few unused programs which were quite large,and now my One is working SO much better. I was having serious issues with the trackpad,almost no video playback,and very slow loading pages. Now the vids play fine ,surfing is quick as can be,and the trackpad is much better. I think this is the first thing laptop owners should learn. I just wish it didnt take me so long to learn this ,since I have wasted many hours trying to figure out what was wrong, including posting about them here. Thankfully I did learn some things here though ,about things like settings which have helped me customize this thing for my own needs.

steveK, Oct 14, 2008
  2. steveK

keef319

Just out of interest do you use Linux or XP?

I remember a while ago, a friend who works with computers a lot, and knows a lot of PC techie guys, said they recommend you defrag your computer once a month, and format it every 6 months!! TBH I've never been THAT keen, lol

Useful program I use on my PC is CCleaner. Surprising how much stuff it cleans off your machine!! Free as well.

Will probably use it on my AAO as well (once it arrives!!)

keef319, Oct 14, 2008
  3. steveK

steveK

I have XP. I didnt use any program. I just deleted files manually that I figured were slowing me down,and I didnt really need anymore. It really became a problem the last few days,since the computer was acting very strange,making weird noises,and doing other unexplained things not to mention taking forever to load some webpages. I am so glad that I took a minute to tell the guy who owns the cafe I went to where they happen to have free wifi,and this guy is always using his laptop. He didnt even hesitate to tell me what I needed to do,so he knows the importance of cleaning up wasted space ,and I am really grateful he did. I didnt have a Thanksgiving(Canadian) dinner today ,but this was certainly something to be thankful for.

steveK, Oct 14, 2008
  4. steveK

steveK

I just tried playing youtube vids again at home where I am also using wireless,unfortunately they are back to being choppy. This just keeps getting stranger it seems. I am sure that the cleaning up I did still did a lot of good,since my One is working great otherwise. The fact that the vids were playing well earlier ,when they were so bad before for weeks without exceptions also says something I would think. I will go back to the cafe tomorrow and see if videos play there.

steveK, Oct 14, 2008
  5. steveK

steveK

Ive tried the suggestions so far to correct the video playback but none did any good,so I think it is is likely the atom processor which I have read about perhaps being the culprit. Does anyone agree or is everyone ok with their video playback ? I would like to do a poll since Ive done everything I can think of,and am quite frustrated not being able to use youtube among other sites.

steveK, Oct 14, 2008
  6. steveK

Dartsani

Use some spyware cleaner, use registery cleaner etc....
    Those should speed up your computer pretty nicely, dont go to delete (I really do hope that you actually uninstalled the programs instead of just deleting the folders) yourself stuff from the registery etc...thats the way to really mess up your computer. Surely you know that our lovely XP dont remove all registery lines when you delete/uninstall your programs.
    Use the programs to do this easier to you, unless your the real techie kind of guy, which I doubt if you ask help in here.

Ad-aware, ccleaner...just www.google.com

Dartsani, Oct 14, 2008
  7. steveK

steveK

Thanks for the tip,I just downloaded and ran ccleaner. It sounds/looks very good,but did it help my video playback? not a bit unfortunately

steveK, Oct 15, 2008
  8. steveK

Dartsani

Ok, is that laggy play from computer or your connection speed?
    New drivers for video card? Another codec?

Dartsani, Oct 15, 2008
  9. steveK

steveK

well I can plAY vids fine after I download them,and I have tried playing them at many different locations and it doesnt seem to matter how stong the connection is.I havent installed new drivers yet,where can I get them? Dont know about the codec either,thanks for the help

steveK, Oct 15, 2008
  10. steveK

Dartsani

If you can play the video ok after you downloaded it, I would say problem is in connection...not on hardware.

Dartsani, Oct 15, 2008
  11. steveK

steveK

Thank you this is what I suspected. Is there any settings you could suggest to improve connection? I have tried turning powersave off on the atheros card. Do you think upgrading bios would help,as a few have suggested,but some have said wouldnt likely help. Also I discovered that somebody I met who also has a One with a 6 cell battery(mines a 3 cell),is getting a much better connection than I do at my storage facility,where there are plenty of walls . Someone suggested the larger battery likely helps with the connection in this case. Thanks again,at least I feel like I am getting closer by eliminating some things in my mind.

steveK, Oct 15, 2008
  12. steveK

Dartsani

Larger battery helps wireless connection? :lol: Thats something new, always thought that its helps for battery life :? . Lots of walls...better/stronger wlan box?
    I bet you had checked that your wireless signal is strong? Tried to use connection next to your wlan box? Tried to use with wire?
    I have to admit that my bigger laptop has way better wireless speed and realiability than AAO atm...so I'm "lost" myself also.

Dartsani, Oct 15, 2008
  13. steveK

Dave in Eugene

Files sitting on your drive doing nothing, no matter how fragmented, will have no effect on your PC or network performance. Running processes are another matter and there are a number of websites where you can input those and get details to help decide what is needed or perhaps even malicious. Then you can use something like CCleaner to kill the offenders. :twisted:

I agree with others who say you need to have a good quality wireless router. A name brand such as Linksys, Netgear, or D-Link will usually be better than something like FooKooYama. When I had QWest DSL the service came with an Actiontech modem with wireless, but the wireless performance was not all that great. When I switched to Clearwire I picked up the well vetted Linksys WRT54G and the difference was like night and day.

But even with a good AP I don't think you can expect the range from a built in wireless card that you can potentially get from an external one. My AAO's built in card works fine anywhere in the house, but I have a Linksys USB wireless adapter that I keep in the briefcase for when I need more range (for instance at a hotel that doesn't have as many APs as it probably should).

802.11x operates at near microwave frequencies (~12cm) and a couple of walls will absorb a lot of your signal, but even at the fringe there will usually be scattered areas of good field strength. With an external adapter you can move it around and find a hot spot. Usually just elevating above surrounding objects does the trick.

Dave in Eugene, Oct 15, 2008
  14. steveK

steveK

yes its definitely a connection problem,since now I am using my One at a library with wifi,and the videos are playing great. The problem is most other places I use it at have a somewhat weaker or much weaker signal. I think the external adapter is going to be the solution. I just dont understand why more isnt being said about them,either here on the boards ,or by the salesperson when I bought the laptop. It would have saved me a great deal of grief and time figuring out what is causing this and other problems. Someone recommended a wifi repeater ,which I is similar in purpose,but is larger and you need an outlet to plug it in. Anyhow thanks alot guys for the advice,and hopefully things will be smooth sailing for a while at least.

steveK, Oct 15, 2008
  15. steveK

steveK

In response to the suggestion from "Dave in Jean" regarding an external adapter, I just went to a small computer store ,and the guy at the counter was using an aspire one,and told me they dont have any external adapters that will work with Ones,since the card they use is different than other netbooks. I should have told him about the linksys you mentioned Dave in jean ,but he was adamant that there is nothing out there that will work. Anyhow is anyone else out there using an external adapter or have more info on these?

steveK, Oct 16, 2008
Ask a Question