Dead laptop, removed SSD for data recovery... now what?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Jason G, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Jason G

Jason G

Hi all,

Model: Acer Aspire One Netbook, Linux Linpus Lite 6Gb SSD.

Right, I posted recently about the lappie freezing at the second boot-up window. This most likely means I won't be able to re-access the system to recover my un backed-up data. To cut a long story short, I have removed my 6Gb SSD to have it put in a caddy, or adaptor to use as 'Removable storage' so I can get it back.

Here is a link - http://jgimages.freehostia.com/SSD.htm.html - to a page with two photos I took; One of the whole unit opened up, and the second of the top-side of the SSD. Anyway, what can I now do to get the information off it and onto my new lappie? Can I buy a caddy to put it in - any suggestions welcome - or will a Data Recovery firm now take it on more willingly as I've done the 'Physical' side for them? In all, through three companies I've received quotes from have said between £110 to £700!!!!! Incredible.

Anyway, what's my next step? :?:

Thanks for reading! :)

Jason G, Nov 19, 2009
  2. Jason G

jerryt

Mount your drive in another AOA110, and recover the data.

jerryt, Nov 20, 2009
  3. Jason G

Jason G

Morning Jerry.

I'd love to. The other lappie was fine to dismantle as I knew it wasn't going to work anyway. Incidentally I put it back together again, seemingly OK, though I have yet to boot it up.

However, I wouldn't like to risk a fully-working machine in case I damage a cable or incorrectly do something else. I just don't want to risk it.

What other ways are there? :D

Jason G, Nov 20, 2009
  4. Jason G

JimboToronto

>>>What other ways are there?<<<

Assuming this SSD is connected with a PATA ZIF cable you could get an adapter (or series of adapters) and connect it through USB. The cable is standard for 1.8" PATA SSDs and HDDs.

Edit:

I just found this:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/USB-Enclosure-Case-f ... 518517232d

At that price I'll get one myself.

JimboToronto, Dec 2, 2009
  5. Jason G

Jason G

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your extremely helpful post. I've never used eBay before, but found this 1.8in SSD caddy with a ZIF connector for plugging into a computer for what seems like forming an external storage device.

http://www.memoryc.com/products/descrip ... index.html

Now, if I was to plug my removed SSD from my A0A110 NetBook into the slot in the unit through the link above, would this work?

Again, my SSD the second image through this link http://jgimages.freehostia.com/SSD.htm.html - it would fit then, I take it?

Thanks! :)

Take care,

Jason

Jason G, Dec 3, 2009
  6. Jason G

JimboToronto

>>>it would fit then, I take it?<<<

Apparently. The enclosure you linked to seems to be made to accommodate both standard miniPCI type cards as well as the shorter, wider cards like yours. You might not even have to fold the ZIF cable.

Even if you can't mount it into the enclosure you can connect the ZIF and retrieve your data.

>>>I've never used eBay before<<<

Don't be afraid. It doesn't cost anything and there's no credit involved to join or buy. Sellers need credit.

Sometimes Ebay is the easiest, fastest and cheapest way to buy scarce or unusual items.

JimboToronto, Dec 8, 2009
  7. Jason G

Jason G

Thanks Jim! I'll buy it and get back to you... :)

Jason G, Dec 8, 2009
  8. Jason G

JimboToronto

Good luck with your data recovery. This underscores the importance of good backup.

JimboToronto, Dec 9, 2009
  9. Jason G

Jason G

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your help - it arrived this morning. Unfortunately though, as good a connection as it makes n the housing - nothing loads when I connect it via USB. Wriggling it about brings the housing's USB light on - but still the unit won't come up as Removable Storage.

I persevered and attempted a re-start with the unit attached - but the laptop hung at the first start-up screen! I had to hold the Power button to turn it off. I disconnected the USB again and fortunately it booted correctly. Phew! I then tried it in my Mum's XP PC, and it took about 10mins to automatically install the necessary driver. Then, when it said it had been installed successfully - nothing self-started nor an option of Removable Storage came up on My Computer.

So... any ideas? Is the SSD HD so badly corrupted it's beyond repair - or is there any last suggestions before I give up on this?

Thanks for your help. Oh, and Merry Christmas! :)

Take care,

Jason :cool:

Jason G, Dec 23, 2009
Ask a Question