Dead Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Gen-x, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Gen-x

Gen-x

Hi Fellow Acer Aspire owners,

Brought an Acer One A150AW two weeks ago, the 120GB hard drive with linpus model. Performed no mods, except updates through the preference icon.

Tonight, when booting up I get this message.

"PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable" and after that "no bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

whilst reporting the above message it is making a funny whirly beeping/clicking sound.

Checking the bios, it says no hard drive is detected. The bios version reported is .3114
    Boot up from network is set to the last place in the boot sequence.

Have not resorted to trying to boot up from a usb stick yet

I am guessing it is mostly likely a hard disk failure.

Has anyone experience this problem before I return it back to be replaced

Gen-x, Sep 1, 2008
  2. Gen-x

Achilles

Haven't got the HD version of the One so can't comment on that but I have had a number of hard drives die over the years. From what you describe this doesn't sound good. Opening up your One to check the cabling will invalidate your warranty (if my experience is anything to go by) so if it is a connection problem then it will be difficult for you to do anything yourself about it. If no disk is detected when you try to boot then I don't think that booting from a USB will help other than possibly running a few other checks if you have suitable diagnostic software.

If you can get it replaced after buying it after 2 weeks then you are lucky and I would take it back.

Achilles, Sep 1, 2008
  3. Gen-x

goofball

If the hard drive is doing the click-whir-click or doing excessive clicking, it is defective and you should have the whole unit replaced.

The HDD is not connected with a cable, it is connected directly to the SATA connectors which are on the board. No cable in between.

goofball, Sep 2, 2008
Ask a Question