dabs follows silly pricing scheme

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by Baza, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Baza

Baza

Dabs.com have the Aspire one at the same silly pricing

Baza, Jun 29, 2008
  2. Baza

KiNG

KiNG, Jun 30, 2008
  3. Baza

Baza

I wonder if the idea is to get people to buy the 80 gig version initially then drop the price of the 8gig at a later date?

Baza, Jun 30, 2008
  4. Baza

glibdud

If you're referring to the relatively low difference in price between the 8GB SSD and 80GB HDD models, SSD is still significantly more expensive per GB than HDD. I wouldn't count on seeing that change any time soon.

glibdud, Jul 1, 2008
  5. Baza

Baza

So whats the point of the 8gig? If it blows (i know there are supposed to be good for years - but I've heard that one before) there is less space and its not easily replacable.

Baza, Jul 1, 2008
  6. Baza

glibdud

The point is less noise, less power consumption, lighter and less space taken up, faster random access, and higher reliability due to lack of moving parts. If you're looking for a portable media center, you'll probably want an HDD. A lot of people (myself included) aren't, though. We just want something cheap, reliable, and portable that we don't have to worry about babying.

glibdud, Jul 2, 2008
  7. Baza

lotus49

Most modern flash controllers reduce the capacity of the device when bits die but it shouldn't stop working completely. Also, I suspect that after a couple of years most of us will be onto the next hot UMPC and decent flash memory should last that long easily. The days of seriously limited writes on flash memory are long gone. This subject has been discussed at some length on eeeuser.com and the concensus is that it just isn't an issue.

I'm with glibdud on this one (BTW are you the same glibdud as on the eeeuser forum?). I don't expect to have much data on my One and the 8GB combined with a permanent 16GB SDHC card should be entirely adequate. If it isn't 32GB SDHC are out and should be affordable fairly soon.

lotus49, Jul 2, 2008
  8. Baza

glibdud

Yep, that's me. I love my little 4G Surf, but the 480 lines of vertical resolution are a bit restrictive sometimes. I'm hoping the Aspire One turns out to be the upgrade I'm looking for.

glibdud, Jul 2, 2008
  9. Baza

lotus49

I thought about the eee for ages but it was the screen size and resolution that put me off. I don't need something powerful (I have other computers) but 800x480 really is too small. I'm certainly looking forward to my One - come on Acer, get a move on.

Did you ever mod your eee? I'm thinking of putting an HSDPA modem and a Bluetooth module in my One.

lotus49, Jul 2, 2008
  10. Baza

glibdud

I followed the hacks and mods forum for a while and had plans to install a GPS receiver at one point, but I never went through with it. I actually bought a touch-screen kit, but lost the motivation to install that. (I think I might use it to build a kitchen PC someday instead.)

I did buy a second EeePC with a broken screen, took the whole top half off, and am using it as my home router now. Although that probably doesn't quite qualify as a mod. ;)

glibdud, Jul 3, 2008
  11. Baza

Davidcowling

Ask a Question