D257 new screen - request for clarification

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Moxford, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Moxford

Moxford

My son managed to drop and damage the screen on his D257 - the screen itself is definitely broken (it looks like a black broken window). But I connected the computer to an external monitor, and the computer itself appears to be undamaged. Using google there appear to be plenty of suppliers for replacement screens, and I even found a youtube clip showing how to replace a screen. It doesn't look difficult, and I have replace hardware in tower computers before, so I'm not particularly worried. But I do have a couple of questions

1. none of the adverts state D257 specifically - is this because all D257s use the 10.1 screen? Or are there any other variations I should know about before buying one?
    2. does anyone have any recommendations for, or indeed against, a particular hardware supplier?

I would also appreciate any tips if you have replaced a screen and didn't find it as easy at it looks.

Cheers
    Martin

Moxford, Nov 23, 2011
  2. Moxford

Moxford

Update - I bought a 10.1 from Accupart via Amazon, very prompt arrival and it did fit the D257.

I have one thing to add that may help anyone changing a screen for the first time. the videos available on the internet are very useful, but the last step - actually disconnecting the cable from the screen - isn't very clear because there are fingers in the way! If you lay the connected screen flat on the keyboard of the computer, with the connector on the upward side and furthest away from you, the connector needs to slide further away from you, rather than upwards or anything else.

Moxford, Dec 5, 2011
Ask a Question