d250 installing windows 7

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by judd328, Sep 24, 2010.

1. judd328

judd328

when installing windows 7 or vista from usb or from usb dvd drive there are no harddrives in the list to install windows to. any one else have this problem. i can install xp just fine

judd328, Sep 24, 2010
  2. judd328

AOD150BLACK

I believe you have to enable the usb drive as a boot device in the bios first.

An easier way if you have another computer on a network, is to do the install over the network.

Put your W7 install cd into a computer on the same network as your netbook, if it autoruns, choose cancel. Now go to Start> My Computer and right click on the dvd drive with the install disc in it, then select Sharing and Security. Under "Newtwork sharing and security", click the checkbox to "Share this folder on the network". You will get a warning popup, don't worry, you can uncheck the box when you are finished if it concerns you (but if it's your home network, you might want to leave it this way for future software installs).

Now on your netbook, be sure you are conncted to the network the computer with the W7 install cd in it. Go to Network Places or Network Neighborhood and find the shared dvd drive on the other computer. Double click it, and if it doesn't autorun, find the install exe and double click it to start your installation.

Takes a long time to write out, but only takes 2 minutes to actually do it, and your install is off and running.

AOD150BLACK, Sep 24, 2010
  3. judd328

Swarvey Moderator

Check your BIOS settings for the HDD controller. Try it on IDE instead of AHCI and you shoud have some luck.

Swarvey, Sep 24, 2010
  4. judd328

Orbiting234

No, that isn't his issue at all. If it was an AHCI problem, it would be XP that wouldn't see any hard drives. Vista & 7 can both natively see AHCI drives so something else is going on.

Orbiting234, Sep 25, 2010
  5. judd328

Swarvey Moderator

I beg to differ, when intalling Win7 Ultimate x86 on my D250 with AHCI enabled, it didn't see any HDDs.

Swarvey, Sep 25, 2010
  6. judd328

judd328

if i switch to ahci the hard drive will show up but it still will not install. it has to be set to ide for xp to install.
    going to try to install over the network havent tried that yet

judd328, Sep 27, 2010
  7. judd328

Swarvey Moderator

I must be unlucky, or my Win 7 disk is defective, an't get AHCI to work on mine without drivers (as is the norm for XP). Whie under AHCI your Win 7 sees the drives but an't install, does it say why? Im guessing its because of the file system of your primary partition. If so, try creating new partition for Win 7 separate from your XP partition

Swarvey, Sep 27, 2010
  8. judd328

judd328

installed over the network( prob could also do it with usb or usb disk drive) with it on ide halfway through install got an error swiched over to achi and it is compleeting install right now. worked

judd328, Sep 27, 2010
  9. judd328

AOD150BLACK

Glad you got it working!

AOD150BLACK, Sep 27, 2010
  10. judd328

Orbiting234

Must be something COMPLETELY screwy with your system or install disc as this is NOT the way Windows 7 works at all. Windows 7 can, and DOES, natively work with any and all AHCI implementations on Intel chipsets without any extra drivers needed for either desktop or notebook/netbook. Vista is the same way.

Whatever you've done to completely screw up your system/drive/install disc, STOP IT! :p

Orbiting234, Sep 30, 2010
  11. judd328

Swarvey Moderator

Just finished reinstalling Win 7 on my D250.

This time used my other disk and voila! it worked on AHCI without a problem. So RT7Lite'd it and reinstalled again, fully functional and much faster now it seems.

So at least in my case there was something completely fubar'd with my disk. I'd return it for a replacement but already have the second copy from my desktop so not really worried. It's gotta be rare to have such failures with an OEM Windows disk, can't say Ive ever witnessed it myself until now. But, lesson learned, it can happen.

Swarvey, Oct 2, 2010
Ask a Question