Current specs

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by KiNG, Jan 3, 2009.

1. KiNG

KiNG

Intel Atom @ 1.6Ghz
    10.1" LED-backlit 1024×600 screen
    HDD
    3 x USB2
    Ethernet, Wifi
    VGA out
    SD card reader ( no Expansion slot anymore )
    Bluetooth and 3G are options
    Windows XP only

Nothing is confirmed yet.

KiNG, Jan 3, 2009
  2. KiNG

GvidoR

It's about the same as the Aspire One we use, just it has a 1.2" bigger screen (which I guess wouldn't make much of a difference) and no expansion slot which is OK because it has a hard disk. It's going to have different colours, and the touchpad buttons are going to be under the touchpad, not on the sides.

GvidoR, Jan 3, 2009
  3. KiNG

rory

So pretty much an MSI wind then.
    Was looking at a Macboook, but if the new one has a better processor (Dual core Atom?) then I may well save myself some money.
    R

rory, Jan 3, 2009
  4. KiNG

GvidoR

Do you not want an Aspire One ? :eek: Or do you want something more powerful as a primary computer ?

GvidoR, Jan 3, 2009
  5. KiNG

rory

No I have an amazing primary computer. But a pretty much all Hackintosh owners say, once you have seen how amazing it is when hacked, all you want to do is get a real Mac. And the new Macbooks are pretty amazing. Plus i have workd 3 weks pretty much solid so I will have enough for one. I think ill keep my AAO, but I want a real laptop for going to lectures, rather than something i cant rely on (through no fault of its own) because I'm always hacking around with it...
    R

rory, Jan 3, 2009
  6. KiNG

naeemsta

I WANT IT TO HAVE S-Video out. :D
    and it should be not too expensive then the one right now.

naeemsta, Jan 3, 2009
  7. KiNG

info

info, Jan 4, 2009
  8. KiNG

jackluo923

Svideo is a long outdated technology which is rarely used by current laptops.

If you still want this POS technology you can spend $3 on a adapter to convert regular vga signal to s-video or composite video provided that you know how to lower the resolution of the 2nd monitor to the maximum supported resolution for s-video format.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.9812

jackluo923, Jan 4, 2009
  9. KiNG

mxb

So ACER are giving up SSD's ?
    A pity as that was a main reason for me getting a netbook... I wanted a rugged laptop, having had HDD probs in the past.

I know they are small capacity and relatively expensive, but like all technology they will get better and cheaper the more people buy them.

Anyway they will become the norm eventually regardless of what ACER do...

mxb, Jan 4, 2009
  10. KiNG

woodland

humm,

Good new because it means i didn't buy this version 2 soon
    Bad news because i can hardly wait for the DUAL ATOM version...

I love the looks of this: http://www.tranquilpc-shop.co.uk/acatal ... GCLF2.html
    At that price i just might buy one just for the fun of it.. i really need a p.c. in the kitchen, bathroom, car
    please help me come up with a better excuse ;)

woodland, Jan 4, 2009
  11. KiNG

GvidoR

I think that they're giving up SSD's is that most users (like me :D ) want more space & speed.
    A hard drive is faster than SSD, more storage and doesn't cost a lot more than a SSD.

GvidoR, Jan 4, 2009
  12. KiNG

info

I believe the Dual Core Atom is targeted at Desktops for the moment and have seen no plans to deploy it on a netbook. This may have changed though.

info, Jan 4, 2009
  13. KiNG

GvidoR

There was an article in Softpedia about this.
    Intel had said that Intel Atom Dual Core processors will not be in netbooks...

GvidoR, Jan 4, 2009
  14. KiNG

lotus49

Hard drives aren't faster. 1.8" disks are extremely slow. 2.5" drives are pretty slow and only the slower SSDs are slower than them. The faster SSDs are waaaay faster than the fastest 2.5" disk.

3.5" are a lot faster than their smaller brothers but they aren't faster than the fastest SSDs and soon won't be faster than any reasonable SSD.

The fact is that HDDs are yesterday's technology and, at least in the physically smaller versions, their only advantage is cost per GB.

lotus49, Jan 4, 2009
  15. KiNG

lotus49

This machine looks fairly uninspiring. The larger screen is of almost no benefit to anyone with decent eyesight and there doesn't seem to be any other real improvement apart from moving the stupid buttons from the side of the trackpad.

It will be interesting to see how much they charge for this. The existing One can be had for £180 in the UK which represents very good value. My bet is that this goes the way of the eee - that is it will get so much more expensive that you may as well just buy a normal laptop.

To me, the chief advantages of the One are robustness, cheapness and lightness. Making it bigger and more expensive but leaving the resolution the same are hardly benefits. The only thing I would really like to change about my One are a slightly larger physical screen with higher resolution (but leaving the machine the same size) and better battery life.

lotus49, Jan 4, 2009
  16. KiNG

info

I think that the 10.1" screen might place slightly less stress on my eyes. However, I don't want to give up battery life or weight, unless the loss is minimal. They might have a winner as the wide border on our present 8.9" screens would seem to indicate that 10" is just about the perfect size. Acer is definitely not standing still and they are clearly placing emphasis on aesthetics (we arguably have the cutest netbook on the market) as well as function.

Though I like what I'm hearing, I'm not at all ready to go on eBay and sell my present AAO just yet.

info, Jan 4, 2009
  17. KiNG

Nemix

So 1.2" bigger screen but same resolution?

Any idea if it supports 2GB ram and has newer Atom Dual Core?

Nemix, Jan 4, 2009
  18. KiNG

judeh101

bigger screen is kinda useless to me, I only use the netbook for school and that's it, so its no use.

judeh101, Jan 5, 2009
  19. KiNG

goofball

I'd say they are using a new chassis for it, especially given that the touchpad should have bottom buttons, the current chassis doesn't have the room for this, unless you want a touchpad that has 1/2" of actual pad.
    Bluetooth would be a nice option.
    Would be nice to see the new chassis allow for the 6 cell to be flush.
    If they would put a 32GB 2.5" SSD, that would be a good idea.

goofball, Jan 5, 2009
  20. KiNG

judeh101

but we would have to pay a lot more to get it :O

judeh101, Jan 5, 2009
Ask a Question