Copying files is geting slower and slower in Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by ted616, Jul 17, 2008.

1. ted616

ted616

I just stall the Ubuntu 8.04.1 on the 8GB SSD of the Aspireone. I also added a A-data 16GB SDHC card and mounted as /home folder. When I try to copy some large files(around 1G) to /home folder from a USB stick(FAT32), the speed is around 10MB/s at the beginning. However, it's getting lower and lower and finnaly at about 700KB/s. I also tried copy from a USB HARDDRIVE (NTFS). i got the same results. Anyone has the same problem?

Thank you in advance.

ted616, Jul 17, 2008
  2. ted616

Flaterik

The Ssd o Sdhc card are fast in small file writing and became more slower in a long file transfer. At the same, in casual writing and reading is more fast than an hdd but in sequential are slow

Flaterik, Jul 18, 2008
  3. ted616

Kev50027

I think that makes the most sense. Similarly, Firewire is faster than USB for big files, but USB wins for small transfers. I guess that's just how it goes.

Hey, at least those transfers are good compared to what people were getting when Vista first came out ;)

Kev50027, Jul 18, 2008
Ask a Question