Converting to the dark side...

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by theredensign, Sep 12, 2016.

1. theredensign

theredensign

Hi all,

I apologise if I've made a faux pas by making my first topic a help one, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

In short, my Acer Aspire V3-571G is becoming quite elderly now, and whilst I don't knock it around, I realise that it may need replacing soon, as it's already 3/4 years old.

At the time, I decided to buy something that was a bit more powerful as it was able to handle games quite well, and I've always been a lifelong Windows user. However, I'm no longer much of a gamer, and the only games I generally do mess about with on occasion are the Total War series (which are surprisingly heavy).

However, to complicate matters, I've recently become interested in Apple. I bought my first iPhone some years ago (after having Android), and subsequently, an iPad. I like them both a great deal, and so I'm beginning to wonder whether I should 'try' a Macbook Pro. However, I'm a bit dubious about this because of the price and the fact that it's a big step into the unknown.

In short, I'd look to use the laptop for general browsing, watching movies (I work away from home), the occasional game, and perhaps some graphics work in future. I did play around with graphics in the past, but with a full time job I struggle to find the time these days.

Has anyone else converted from Windows to Mac before and, if so, was it the right choice? Do you think a Mac really is worth the pretty penny that they ask? Also, how reliable are they?

Many thanks,

Kind regards,
    Jack.

theredensign, Sep 12, 2016
  2. theredensign

rz3300

I have been from Windows to Mac to back to Windows and back and around again, and at this point doing from one to other is really not that much of a difference. Is it worth the money for the Mac? I would say no, but I think some people find it as the classier option, and on the whole I think they are more user friendly, in that they do not break down as often, at least in my opinion. 3/4 years old is really not that long though, so I am sorry to hear that is all you got from this one.

rz3300, Sep 13, 2016
  3. theredensign

djtech

Well, I have used macbooks, windows pcs, and everything in between. IMHO if you can, then get a macbook. Just make sure you're getting it for the right reasons. Don't get it to show off or anything. Get it because you need it or because macbooks are beautiful and powerful devices with cutting edge stuff that won't show up on (say) a Dell laptop until 3 years later.

djtech, Sep 13, 2016
  4. theredensign

Corzhens

This is also my opinion that a Mac is for the class only and, of course, the simple operations which makes it user-friendly. I think it is harder to shift from Mac to PC but shifting from PC to Mac would be far easier because of the simple operations. But in fairness to the Mac, it is definitely faster than the PC in terms of speed because that is the trademark of the Mac, a quick response to the user. .

Corzhens, Sep 13, 2016
Ask a Question