Contract-laden 3G Acer Aspire One hitting US at just $99?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by mac4life, Dec 8, 2008.

1. mac4life

mac4life

AA1 with ATT Broadband Internal @ RS on 12/14!

US buyers only...

I asked my boss before i went public with this info, but on Sun the 12/14/08 the sale starts.

I don't have the acer model number or color yet. but i do know it'll have the 120gbHDD, xp, and a 3- cell battery.

I won't announce pricing but, if you sign up for ATT Data connect package with a 2yr contract the price of the AA1 will be AMAZING!

Flock to your local RS stores and inquire about 25-777.

Like I said it starts 12.14, next sun!!!

If you do not, want a broadband card built-in, we offer the standard AOA150-1570.

mac4life, Dec 8, 2008
  2. mac4life

myuusmeow

Re: AA1 with ATT Broadband Internal @ RS on 12/14!

A normal AAO with a 3 cell battery has pretty mediocre battery life, I don't want to think what that would be like plus a 3g card.

myuusmeow, Dec 8, 2008
  3. mac4life

mklo

Code:
    http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/08/contract-laden-3g-acer-aspire-one-hitting-us-at-just-99/

mklo, Dec 9, 2008
  4. mac4life

rory

saw it earlier
    THIS IS NOT CONFIRMED
    "Leaked poster which engadget says is probably true

rory, Dec 9, 2008
  5. mac4life

mac4life

I got my ad in and received 3, So I was able to confirmed that it'll be a 160gb HDD. No mention on 3 or 6 cell battery. but i believe it'll be a 3-cell.

the model is exclusive to radio shack. I googled AOA150-1987. and nothing showed up!

I watched a couple of videos and they want to make sure people understand that you'll be able to to get it for that extremely low price!

I'm still not at liberty to discuss price, but i'm sure it'll be leaked on the net soon! I'm just not the one to do it. But so for those that are interested, think of it as the discount you receive when signing up a contract to a cell phone! It's normally a discount of $200!

$350-200= $150 But you know sometimes RS gives more than just a $200 discount!!!!

Ya'll will be very very happy with the price!

mac4life, Dec 9, 2008
  6. mac4life

fbx

What's the price of the ATT Data Connect package?

fbx, Dec 9, 2008
  7. mac4life

clc4912

I believe that would be about $70.00 per month.

clc4912, Dec 9, 2008
  8. mac4life

dmarantz

For data rate plan prices see:

http://www.wireless.att.com/busines...LinkName=AvailableDataRatePlans&wtLinkLoc=BDY

Personally I would love to have access anywhere but the monthly charge for the amount i would actually use it puts it out of reach. I can understand for business (that is your company pays for it or you run your own business), but for the normal user a $60/mo plan for 2yrs plus the $100 AA1 brings the total cost to $1,540. This is not including discounts you may get for already being an ATT customer.

dmarantz, Dec 9, 2008
  9. mac4life

vartz04

This would be good for those who only have one computer or only laptops, and don't need to on the net at the same time. At about $25 more a month than regular internet it is a pretty good deal I think.

Ive thought about starting up a data plan this summer (work outa my truck as a intern for a civil engineering firm) and then when I go back to school for the semester Ill have just a 1 bedroom apartment and use this for my regular internet

vartz04, Dec 10, 2008
  10. mac4life

fbx

Yeah, would be fine if it could replace your regular hi speed internet, but it's 3G (slow, I mean), and (#2) could you set up a network at home for two or more computers? And if it's 3G as opposed to cable modem or DSL, it's going to be deadly slow, isn't it? I have 3G on ATT via my iPhone and it's barely better than the E setup was on the old iPhone.

ANd the money is greeking ridiculous--spend $1400 to save $200?

fbx, Dec 10, 2008
  11. mac4life

rjm

As people have pointed out, the total cost is over $1500. That makes it a pretty expensive netbook.

It's only a good deal if you are simultaneously in the market for 1) a 3G data plan and 2) a netbook.

I would be a very light user, $60/mo is way beyond anything I could justify.

rjm, Dec 12, 2008
  12. mac4life

Oberkanone

$1540 is the minimum cost of the Aspire One at Radio Shack when you add in the cost of the mandatory two year contracts cost of service.

$1540.!! (not including sales tax)

Oberkanone, Dec 13, 2008
  13. mac4life

jmuffat

I just purchased this from radioshack. Very nice little machine, 3G is very fast. Caveat, limit to 5GB a month, annoying. The price is as advertised, plus taxes on the full price. Only black color.

As people have pointed out it's only interesting if you already were in the market for that. In my case, I wanted a 3G card for my main laptop, and I wanted a netbook. For these purposes, it's an incredible deal. I had already purchased the SSD model as gift from newegg's thxgiving deal, but this beats it easily.

On the SSD model, I installed Vista easily, and it runs very well. I think I will switch this one to Vista as well. And I expect the switch of the card to my other laptop to not be an issue at all.

cheers

j.

jmuffat, Dec 14, 2008
  14. mac4life

djSyndrome

Something to consider: AT&T's data plan caps you at 5GB of data per month; you are billed for everything above that amount. That's bi-directional - uploads and downloads - and can go quickly if you're not careful.

djSyndrome, Dec 19, 2008
  15. mac4life

MathProfJohnson

I got one and love it. While everyone talks about the high cost, it was nothing to be because I already had an AT&T account for $50 data plan (work discount from $60). So I am not incurring any additional cost since mine was out of contract.

For people who complain about it being in the machine, simply take the SIM out and put it in a USB dongle if you want to use it between machines. Unlike a CDMA device you can just take the SIM out to use it in other devices.

If down the line you don't want the AT&T cut it off and pay $175. Be careful though, RadioShack added a caveat to the contract you sign and if you cut the AT&T off earlier than 90 days they will come after you for $200.

MathProfJohnson, Dec 20, 2008
  16. mac4life

trock

Before I bought my Sprint USB 3G card I asked them about the 5GB and they said they'd never heard of anyone using it up. I've been using mine for a month and have been using the AAO for many hours online each day and have only used up about 1/2 a GB.

trock, Dec 23, 2008
  17. mac4life

jmuffat

you probably don't use video streaming services. A single movie on blockbuster/movielink/cinemanow, is 1.5GB. so as I said it goes quickly in that case.

something to think about:the card is a GOBI card. That's pretty cool, it's muli-standard (EVDO AND HSDPA, theoretically).

j

jmuffat, Dec 23, 2008
  18. mac4life

trock

You're right, I don't usually stream a whole movie although I do watch stuff on Youtube as well as bits of movies from a home PC via Orb or my Slingbox/Tivo.

trock, Dec 26, 2008
Ask a Question