Connects to Wireless BUT cant browse

Discussion in 'Linux' started by NubianNyt, Aug 16, 2009.

1. NubianNyt

NubianNyt

Ok firstly, my apologies if this has been already posted before. I did run a search but could not find any along the lines of the problem am having.

I recently came into contact with an Acer Aspire One ( with Linux ) that a pal was considering selling. All seemed OK when I fiddled with it as his place but once I got back to mine I was able to get it to connect to my wireless network BUT could not browse the internet.

All worked well on the same router when I connected it via a LAN cable. Even after running all the updates as it had been sitting in the box for a while, It would not still go on the net. I get the confirmation that it has connected to the wireless network BUT cant run any online tools- firefox, messenger, even the live update.

Any insight would be most appreciated. Thanks.

NubianNyt, Aug 16, 2009
  2. NubianNyt

NubianNyt

no insights at all on this then.....

NubianNyt, Aug 25, 2009
  3. NubianNyt

larkim

What ip address does it get when it connects wirelessly? (I'm no expert, but if you bring up a terminal window (Alt+F2), type "xterm" and hit enter, and then use "ifconfig" that should give you some output.

Is the router blocking the device? What does the router show the ip address of the netbook is? Can you access the router wirelessly from the netbook? Did it work wirelessly at your mate's house? Can you "ping" an external website? Is the wifi turned on (switch at the front of the machine)?

HTH!

Matt

larkim, Aug 25, 2009
  4. NubianNyt

NubianNyt

Thanks Alot Matt, here are the answers to your questions

Also the full specs are-

Model Name- Aspire One
    O/s- Linpus Linux Lite v1.0.21.E
    CPU- Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N270 @ 160GH
    System Mem- 512mb
    H/d- 8GB
    Bios- v0.3309

Networks-
    LAN- Realtex RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet Controller ( rev 02 )
    WIFI- Atheros AR5006EG 802.11 b/g Wireless PCI Express Adapter ( rev01 )

NubianNyt, Sep 2, 2009
  5. NubianNyt

larkim

I think we still need some more stuff. Particularly the ifconfig output. I don't have my AAO with me, but this is the sort of output you would get:-
    Code:
    will@localhost ~]$ ifconfig
    eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0E:A6:84:CD:D6
              inet addr:192.168.1.100  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
              inet6 addr: fe80::20e:a6ff:fe84:cdd6/64 Scope:Link
              UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:30774 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:20737 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
              RX bytes:33591322 (32.0 MiB)  TX bytes:2244362 (2.1 MiB)
              Interrupt:23 Base address:0x4000

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
              inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
              inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
              RX packets:4114 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:4114 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
              RX bytes:1954748 (1.8 MiB)  TX bytes:1954748 (1.8 MiB)
    It would be really useful to see this - this would show whether your router has assigned a valid ip address to your AAO. You say that you could make it "connect to your wireless network", but that could mean a number of different things.

Also, in terms of accessing the router it would be useful to see if you can connect to that through your browser, even if you can't access the internet. Your router is the bridge between the local side of your network (LAN) and the internet side (WAN). Try typing into your browser either 10.0.0.1 as an address, or 192.168.1.1 These are the typical ip addresses given to routers in a domestic environment. You should see a login screen come up. If you can't even see this, then no matter what else is making you think that you are connected to your wireless network the reality is that you aren't connected. If you have an ethernet cable lying around, try hooking up to the router with this instead and then go through the steps above.

Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs!

HTH!

Matt

larkim, Sep 3, 2009
  6. NubianNyt

foxoseven

I found this a problem during a recent tour of Europe. Only 1 campsite using an open WiFi network would allow my Acer Aspire One running Linpus Lite to work, it just wouldn't prompt for Usr & pwd anywhere else. Are there some restrictions in Firefox which prevent activeX apps prompting for Usr & Pwd or are there some settings in Firefox, or on the wireless router that need to be set to fix this.

I can connect to my secure wireless network at home (WPK-TKIP SSID not broadcast) with no problem

I installed XP on my Acer Aspire One when I returned to try to sort out this problem but it's performance was diabolical, I presume this was due to the read/write activity windows hammers the disk with and the 8GB SSD can not cope with this amount of read/writes and still answer user requests.

My only other thought to fix this is to buy a USB multiboot disk so I can boot up under windows for use on these troublesome networks and use Linpus when I want speed and security.

Cheers

foxoseven, Oct 8, 2009
Ask a Question