Connection consolidation?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rs2y, Aug 20, 2010.

1. rs2y

rs2y

Hi,
    I'm interested in buying a wireless (wi-fi) package for my laptop that I can use FOR my home as well with a router. I'm looking to get rid of the current Cable/Phone/Web combo I have now and am behind the times on how they are marketing the technology nowadays. Is 3G what I'm looking for? Or is that only Cingular/AT&T's version? Meaning, something I can take my laptop with me on the train and connect for work, while at the same time back home under the same account is streaming netflix, etc. Does such a service exist? I see 3G routers available for purchase, but don't truly understand the service. Excuse my ignorance and thank you for your help!

rs2y, Aug 20, 2010
  2. rs2y

Swarvey Moderator

From your OP it sounds like what you want is the 3G package. But your AAO will need to support this first.

Take out the battery and look for a slot. There should be a small slot that you can insert a SIM card into. If there is only a shiny piece of black tape, then your AAO doesn't have the 3G components built in. If that's the case then you can either hunt around for a 3G card with a built in SIM card slot, or search these forums for a 3G modification. The modification will require you to physically disassemble the netbook, and solder a SIM card slot to the main board. You will also have to install a 3G capable modem into the machine itself.

Once this is done, you can enable internet sharing on the 3G connection and share it using the AAO's built in WiFi networking. Under Windows at least, I don't know if Linux supports this.

The above mentioned connection will enable you to take the AAO on the road with you and access internet via 3G which runs on the same towers as mobile phones. And you will be able to sit at home and share the 3G internet connection with the other computers in your house. Your AAO essentially becomes a router.

It's not the easiest thing to set up, but it has been done before.

Swarvey, Aug 20, 2010
Ask a Question