connecting to wifi (NOT sleep/power-up problem)

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Jhoosier, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Jhoosier

Jhoosier

I've checked through the forums, and this doesn't seem to be covered (or it's buried in all the other wifi problems). I'm running the Linpus version I bought in Singapore.

I haven't been able to connect to a wifi network at all. I can see all available ones, including my home network, but the connections always fail. Once when I first got it, I was able to connect to a login screen in Firefox for a pay service, but since I'm a cheap bastard I didn't go any further. Since then, all attempts at wifi connections fail.

Is there an update for the wifi card, or connection manager? I'm a novice at networking and Linux, so it's entirely possible that the solution is very simple but I just can't see it. If it helps, my router's an Airlink101. There aren't many open networks here in Japan, so my only real test options are mine and someone else in my building, neither of which should be locked as my father was able to connect via his palm pilot.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I got this thing so I could surf on the couch or whatnot, and it's not cooperating. THANK YOU!

Jhoosier, Sep 10, 2008
  2. Jhoosier

hmraao

There have been at least two Connection Manager Live Updates, that I'm aware of. You may need to use Live Update more than once, in order to pick everything up (in that respect it's not unlike Windows Update)

You may also find some useful tips here - the link is for one of my contributions, but there are other helpful remarks throughout the whole thread.

You haven't given any details of your router, other than the brand. If you included the model in the topic subject, you might get more specific suggestions:)

Ephraim Tutt takes the cases no one else wants.

hmraao, Sep 10, 2008
  3. Jhoosier

Jhoosier

Thanks for the link. I'll have to wait to get home from work before I can try a live update. I did it once when I first got it home, but the thing seemed to take forever so I left it overnight and the battery ran down (hadn't yet gotten a plug adapter so no way to charge it) so maybe it didn't take. Give it a second go and see what happens.

I think my router's a 325 wireless model, but that'll have to wait til I get home to have a look too.

Thanks again!

Jhoosier, Sep 10, 2008
  4. Jhoosier

annafil

Try this from a terminal, and then reboot

Code:
    mv ~/.gconf/system/networking ~/ 
    This moves your existing networking preferences to another folder (so that you canrestore them) and forces network manager to create a new set.

annafil, Sep 10, 2008
  5. Jhoosier

Jhoosier

Well, I ran Live Update, and yes, there were a ton of updates for it, including a connection manager. So I updated and rebooted, but now I can't see any wifi networks. That's a bit of a downer. I tried Annafil's suggestion, but it won't be any good until I'm able to try connecting to something. Guess I need to now surf for threads on not being able to see networks.

Jhoosier, Sep 10, 2008
  6. Jhoosier

hmraao

By the sound of things you're in need of some on-site support, because you really aren't providing enough information about your setup for even a stab-in-the-dark guess at what the problem might be. I don't even really understand the subject title you chose for your posting. I mean, what would sleep/power-up problems have to do with making a wifi connection, anyway? But perhaps this is just an indication of a language barrier that wasn't immediately obvious.

However, the following FixUnix.com Report on an ultracheap wireless router suggests that the reliability of the device might not be all that good. Perhaps you should contact your supplier.

Nevertheless, if you're father has managed to connect his PalmPilot to the internet via your setup, perhaps he can help, or whoever else it is in you building that you say has a wifi network?

I'm sorry that I can't be of more help, but I neither understand how more open networks would have helped you in this situation, nor how you were intending to surf atop a whatnot, which strikes me as a very unsuitable bit of furniture to sit on?

hmraao, Sep 11, 2008
  7. Jhoosier

Jhoosier

hmraoo: The heading is in reference to this thread: http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1477#p9860 . I just wanted to head off any links to that thread and its sisters, because my problem is unrelated, but the vast majority of posts seem to be about their issue.

Having another open network to try would help determine if it's my general incompetence at setting up a network and connecting that's causing the problem, rather than something wrong with the AA1's connection manager.

Evidently there's some bad update that got sent out, which screws something up with regard to the network manager, so now I have to go sort that out, then hope that the original problem is fixed by the other updates. From this thread: http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2620

Jhoosier, Sep 11, 2008
  8. Jhoosier

hmraao

OK. So I'm a bit clearer on what your problem is NOT about, but I'm still none the wiser.
    Obviously my psychic abilities aren't up to the task.

hmraao, Sep 11, 2008
  9. Jhoosier

Jhoosier

I was simply unable to make a wireless connection to anything. Every time I attempted to connect, Connection Manager would say it's unable to connect to the network. That was it.

And suddenly, now it's decided it likes my network and connects. Go figure. I ran Live Update last night, things got worse (unable to see any networks), then start it up today, reboot once and am able to see networks but not connect. I went out for dinner and left it, now it's decided to connect. Just before dinner, I changed the channels in the router settings, then changed it back and rebooted the router. I have no idea what started working properly, I'm just going to be happy it works now.

Jhoosier, Sep 11, 2008
  10. Jhoosier

hmraao

Well, I guess there's a reason the first question those "IT Crowd" guys ask is "Have you tried switching it off and on?"

I'm very happy for you:)

[​IMG]

hmraao, Sep 11, 2008
Ask a Question