Configuring VGA port to connect with TV monitor

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by kaibloom, May 4, 2012.

1. kaibloom

kaibloom

Need help with this pls I done something and can not undo it.

I was configuring the screen resolution to work with my TV screen. I plugged in VGA cable connecting the TV to the computer and I found the correct Hz figure for the TV and the desktop appeared on my TV screen in addition to on my computer screen. No problem.

But then I thought about the fact that I always wanted to set it so the information on the computer monitor would switch off and defer to the TV and thought that by accessing the relevant option in the 'Connect to Projector' feature i.e. 'Projector Only' it would do this. I lost both pictures and thought I could reverse what I had done easily by returning to the connect to projector feature and select 'Computer Only' but this has not worked. I have tried the 'Duplicate' and 'Extend' options also but no matter which option I choose every time I plug in the VGA cable back into the computer I lose the image on the netbook screen and get no image on the TV either. The TV says 'no signal' but the unsettling thing is when I reboot with VGA cable connected the TV monitor will show the boot up process not the computer screen, but when the log in screen appears it all cuts out again on both screens. When I remove the VGA cable from the computer the desktop reappears on the computer screen.

Can anyone suggest what is happening? :D

kaibloom, May 4, 2012
  2. kaibloom

Swarvey Moderator

Considering you have the Connect To Projector option, I'm guessing you use Windows 7.

Try right-clicking on your desktop and selecting Screen Resolution. There you should be able to alter resolutions for the different monitors. Check in here to ensure that resolutions and refresh rates are right for your screens first. In this control panel you should also have control over which is the primary monitor and the "extend" desktop option.

Swarvey, May 5, 2012
  3. kaibloom

kaibloom

thanks, yes apologies for not stating the o/s. It is Win 7 I am using. Sadly I have had no success with what you have suggested but ended up by choosing the second monitor option and not being able to see anything not even on a reboot :lol: The desktop did breifly register on the TV but then cut out again. As for setting the screen resolution in the past what I have found is when the VGA cable is plugged in this feature automatically adjusts the resolution to what is necessary without my needing to do this manually. Also the option for setting the figure of Hz I mentioned alters to be able to set this ok manually. Once this is done its done.

So I must own up here to not having tried or thought of fiddling with the TV settings before posting about this yesterday but I found an 'Auto Adjust' option in the menu within the PC compatible option in the TV which solved the problem and I managed to get both screens showing the desktop.... so I tried my original path of choosing projector only again and it all screwed up again. Consequently it was a actual shot in the dark this time to re-select the projector settings to show an image on the computer desktop again, but at least this was possible this time unlike before. Conclusion is that I can not to my knowledge set the TV to accept instructions as if it were a projector, this is the only conclusion I can draw so I am back to covering the computer screen with a piece of cloth when it is connected to the TV sadly. Cheerrs!

kaibloom, May 5, 2012
  4. kaibloom

kaibloom

thought to add a foot note to this before I draw a line under it. What I described in my previous post had not completely solved the problem as when I removed the VGA cable from the computer there was still an issue of the desktop disappearing from the computer screen, I can only assume this was from that fact I had configured it in some way to do this by employing the connecting to projector facility more likely than the TV adjustment I feel.

So plugging the VGA cable back into the computer and gaining images on both TV & computer I performed a system restore to a previous point in time and sure enough I was able to start the process again with a clean sheet - plug the VGA cable into the computer, accessing 'screen resolution' as suggested above, configure the Hertz value manually for my TV in 'advanced settings', and now I have fiddled with it further I can successfully temporarily switch the computer screen off so I only have an image on the TV screen and then reinstate it back onto the computer, doing this by using the 'multiple displays' feature once the VGA cable is plugged in, also by accessing the screen resolution facility first. So the moral is to avoid anything to do with connecting to a projector when connecting to a TV I guess.... simples

kaibloom, May 5, 2012
  5. kaibloom

Swarvey Moderator

Glad to hear ya got it sorted :) On a side note, my kids school is flooding itself with digital projectors and digital whiteboards, they're forever getting me to help out with fixing resolutions etc. The first big hurdle to ever get over with systems like these is mismatched aspect ratios, using a wide screen monitor (16:9) with a square tv / projector (4:3) resolution can cause several headaches.

Swarvey, May 6, 2012
Ask a Question