Completely stumped! networking issue.

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by spaced, Jul 25, 2011.

1. spaced

spaced

Hello people.

I have just bought a second hand A07531h, but it came with a problem. I googled to death and can not work out why this is happening! I can not seem to connect wirelessly to my router! (although I can establish computer to computer networks wirelessly)

Here's where it gets really weird. It doesn't work in Windows or Ubuntu. so it doesn't seem to be a software thing. but I have also tried using a different USB dongle that I know does work. and still no joy!!

it seems to get stuck on either the authentication stage or the aquiring IP address stage. and I bloody need the internet... it is a NETbook afteral!

Please can anybody offer me any advice. I am stuck

I have the A0751h, which comes with the Atheros 5001EG Wifi card.

Many many many thanks

spaced, Jul 25, 2011
  2. spaced

Swarvey Moderator

First thing I'd suggest, seeing as it's a "used" netbook, would be to run a full factory restore and revert it to defaults. I'd also be running a BIOS upgrade.

As for being able to connect to other computers and not your router, that could very well be an issue with the router, or your netbook may have had an upgrade to the WiFi module, so make sure your drivers are up to date.

In my sig you'll find a link to a Wiki I started for the AAO's, at the bottom of the first page is a WiFi Trouble shooting section I set up with tips that I've used in the past to fix up WiFi issues for customers. Usually it comes down to the router needing to be powered=down and reset, or worst case, a firmware upgrade.

Swarvey, Jul 26, 2011
  3. spaced

spaced

Thanks Swarvey.

I have done a full factory reset. And I have upgraded the bios to the latest version. I have come across your wiki before. and have tried every suggestion. Still no luck.

Every other mac and PC in this house (7+) connects painlessly to my router

I think it could just be WPA thing. But I can find no documentation on the internet of a known WPA Aspire One/atheros problem.

This doesn't make sense... why can my USB dongle (with full support under Ubuntu) not connect either?

spaced, Jul 26, 2011
  4. spaced

Swarvey Moderator

Have you tried using the USB dongle whlie the AAO is plugged into AC? or just on battery. The reason I ask is some USB hardware only works when plugged into AC as power management gives the USB ports more amperage. More power-hungry devices like WiFi dongles, USB-Powered HDD's and DVD-RW's probably won't get enough current through the USB ports on straight battery power to operate fully.

If the USB dongle works when plugged into AC and the built-in card doesn't still doesn't work, then chances are you may have a defective WiFi dongle. I doubt it though, considering you can connect PC-to-PC.

All else fails, last resort for me is to firmware update the Router. On two other occasions I've had no other choice.

Swarvey, Jul 26, 2011
  5. spaced

spaced

thanks again swarvey

I have tried those suggestions.

now here is where it gets really weird. Using the Aspire One in ubuntu, i can create networks.

using none for authentication = fine
    using WEP 40 bit = fine
    using WEP 128 bit = connects but no data transfer
    using WPA = nothing

bearing in mind this problem persists despite different OSes and hardwares

What could be causing this problem???

spaced, Jul 26, 2011
  6. spaced

spaced

Okay. so... I've been doing some testing.

Wifi not happy at home with my (netgear router).

Wifi happy at the local computer shop using WPA2 (linksys router)

Wifi not happy at one pub, no security, but the barmaid couldn't access it on her computer either. (so could be a red herring)

wifi happy at second pub. WPA (phillips router)

ethernet at home happy under Windows XP and Ubuntu 11.04 (same netgear router)

what does this all mean!?!?!?!

spaced, Jul 26, 2011
  7. spaced

Swarvey Moderator

Says to me that your router isn't compatible with your AAO, as I've said previously, a firmware update could possibly resolve this.

The linksys router at your local computer shop, is more than likely newer and more compatible than your netgear router (personally I've never had anything but trouble with Netgear equipment)

The WiFi at the pub is probably down and their router needs a simple reboot, if the barmaid couldn't access it then chances are no one can.

WiFi at second pub working means that your AAO is compatble with their router, there is no evidence of a fault in your AAO.

Ethernet working at home sounds about right, but remember Ethernet and WiFi are not only different hardware, but there's different protocols involved. Ethernet has been around for a looooong time, virtually anything is compatible with anything via ethernet.

Swarvey, Jul 27, 2011
  8. spaced

spaced

OMG swarvey i want to thank you so much for all your help. but I want to kill myelf.

After days of struggling, i worked out what the problem was.
    II had simply gotten the password wrong. using 'o' intead of '0' :twisted:

Again, thank you so much. i am sorry i wasted your time. :(

spaced, Jul 30, 2011
  9. spaced

__spc__

Hang your head in SHAME!

__spc__, Aug 15, 2011
Ask a Question