Compatible RAM not working??? Bad RAM or Bad ME???

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by patpond, May 13, 2009.

1. patpond

patpond

Ok, so here's the scoop :

RAM - Samsung 1GB 2Rx8 PC2-5300s-555-12-e3 (533Mhz , DDR2 , SODIMM) Model - M470T2953EZ3-CE6

I actually got this RAM for my mom’s Acer Aspire One, and had to wait for here to come over this weekend to install it. I did go through the install on the weekend, but when this stick of RAM was in the laptop, it wouldn’t boot or even post. I’ve been working inside computers for about 9 years now, so am very familiar with how they work. As soon as I remove the RAM it boots, put the RAM in, and nothing (telltale sign of bad RAM). I’m assuming one of two things, either the Acer can’t accept the boost in RAM, (it may top out at 1GB – there is 512MB soldered to the board and one expansion for upgrade. Another 512MB may be the max) or number 2 this stick of RAM is flakey.

I'm not sure of the model of the Acer, I'll check with my mom later and post back, but it's the 120GB version that shipped with Linux. I was almost 100% sure the max RAM was 1.5GB, but I may be wrong... :? . So, any ideas? Is there a model of AAO that only supports 1GB (so I would have to put a 512 stick in the available slot). Am I missing something to activate that slot??? I'm grasping at straws now I know. :( .

Thanks for any help ppl. :mrgreen:

patpond, May 13, 2009
  2. patpond

janss

As far as I know, there is no model of Aspire One with a limitation of 1 GB for RAM.

So I'd say the ram-module is broken.

janss, May 13, 2009
  3. patpond

patpond

Thanks, that's good to know. I was pretty sure the max RAM was 1.5GB, sadly I have a bad stick of RAM now... :cry:

Oh well, could be worse.

Thanks janss

patpond, May 13, 2009
  4. patpond

SNOboy

pc4200 is the speed of ram that the ONE needs! its been discussed in other posts, many feel its not such a big deal but its something with the chip that it needs that speed and as most faster ram will drop down to system bus speed, it does not seem to work as efficiently as it should, i installed pc4200 last year and it shows complete 1.5gig installed and have never had a problem. hope this helps SNO

SNOboy, May 14, 2009
  5. patpond

goofball

It doesn't NEED to be pc4200. I've used PC5300 many times (mainly Corsair Value) in many Ones, as have many others without any problems. Sounds like the OP just got a dud ram stick, it happens.

goofball, May 14, 2009
Ask a Question