Cheapest place to buy A150 120gb in UK??

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by wanderlust, Feb 18, 2009.

1. wanderlust

wanderlust

And more importantly does anyone have any horror stories about places to avoid like the proverbial plague? Basically I'm after a minimum of a 120gb hard drive. I'm not fussed about 512mg or 1gb as I'll upgrade it to 1.5 (fingers crossed that I dont screw it up!). I'd rather have xp but I'll go the linux route to save a few quid and try to install xp mself (there's plenty of "how to" guides out there posted by some very generous and considerate individuals).

I'm even tempted to go for a refurbished one if the saving's good enough. Seen one for £169 with 3 months guarantee.

Then its shelling out for either a 6 cell (preferable) or another cheap (probably used) 3 cell and double up. I cant for the life of me find out the weights of the 2 units, so if anyone can help with that, I'll be most appreciative.

Cant believe I wasnt looking for one of these when asda was selling them a couple of weeks ago for £150!! grrr....

wanderlust, Feb 18, 2009
  2. wanderlust

ronime

Bought a couple of Linpus/512mb/120GB A150s from play.com last week for £190 each (one white and one blue).

The white one had a 120GB HD but was faulty and returned. The blue one had a 160GB HD (just like the one I bought from Asda for £150!). Replacement white A150 is due this week. Can't fault play.com for the efficiency with with they dealt with my return.

The price has now gone up to £200 but the 1Gb model has come down by £10 to £210.

ronime, Feb 18, 2009
  3. wanderlust

wanderlust

If it's gonna be £200 then I may end up opting for one of the competitors with the 6 cells. By the time I've shelled out £50 for a 6 cell, its only £20 more for a 1000h with xp already installed and 1gb of RAM. PLus thats through play.com also, so I'm glad to hear that you're giving them a good write up!

Ideally though I'll find another source for the Acer that would come in cheaper. Fingers crossed.

wanderlust, Feb 18, 2009
  4. wanderlust

ronime

If you can stretch to £299 then consider the Samsung NC10. It's just about the best netbook out there at the moment. Huge battery life, almost inaudible cooling fan and a great keyboard.

Or, you could wait and see how the new 10" Aspire One prices pan out in the UK...

ronime, Feb 18, 2009
  5. wanderlust

wanderlust

I could pick one up from dixons for £288. I've never been keen on dixons after they messed me around years ago with a faulty pc.

It seems that a lot of people have jumped on the nc 10 bandwagon. But when there are full comparisons done between that and the eee1000h it seems to come down to personal preference in the end. The samsung's got the better battery, but it doesnt seem to live up to some of the crazy claims that were first made for 8 hours use. I'd like to have a look at the asus in the flesh but I'm struggling to find anywhere near me that stocks them.

wanderlust, Feb 18, 2009
  6. wanderlust

ronime

Aldi have an offer on on the Medion Akoya for £222 (normal price £272). 10" screen, 1GB RAM, 160GB HD, Windows XP and built in BlueTooth 2.0. It's basically a rebadged MSI Wind U100. Battery is a 3-cell jobby, no better than an AA1.

5 - 6 hours seems realistic for the NC10, which is more than adequate.

ronime, Feb 18, 2009
  7. wanderlust

wanderlust

wanderlust, Feb 19, 2009
  8. wanderlust

ronime

WTF? :eek:

ronime, Feb 19, 2009
  9. wanderlust

wanderlust

What happened to me message?? Ah well. Dont think I'm really in the market for one of those. Think I've just about ruled out the 1000h now, so looking like its the AAO vs. nc-10 for me.

AAO: :D lighter. smaller. cheaper
    :cry: would have to get linux model for cheap prices i've seen=having to get hold of xp and instal it myself. tricky to upgrade RAM. lower max RAM. poor battery life

nc-10: :D easy to up the RAM to 2gb. bigger HD. can use pretty much straight out the box. great battery.
    :cry: expensive. bigger and heavier

wanderlust, Feb 19, 2009
  10. wanderlust

goaten2000

goaten2000, Feb 20, 2009
  11. wanderlust

wanderlust

ironically, I didnt have time to check my messages and only saw this after I bought an AAO. thankfully, i bought it from curry's digital for a shade over £152! someone returned it thinking that it supported mobile broadband, there were a few sticky marks on it and it didnt have the original box, but i got a box, slip case, cable and all the booklets ans still only spent half the list price for an NC 10! bargain. now i need to find a cheap slimline usb dvd writer and a couple of other things, case, mem. upgrade etc...

wanderlust, Feb 22, 2009
  12. wanderlust

goaten2000

Good price, and congrats on being an owner of these great little machines :D

goaten2000, Feb 22, 2009
  13. wanderlust

diversionsc

Some asda's have them going at £150, the zg5 model linux one. The box says 120gb but the three i've bought are all 160gb. They come with 512mb ram and are worth the money though i only bought them because i get 10% staff discount. 1 for my dad and 2 for me, you would have to phone around asda's to find one. I know in most cases they arent shelfed and are just lying in the back doing nothing.

diversionsc, Mar 8, 2009
  14. wanderlust

wanderlust

I tried all of the stores in my area when I was looking to buy one, but to no avail.

wanderlust, Mar 11, 2009
  15. wanderlust

Theborgbabe

Purchased Acer 150, 500meg ram, 160 hd, Linux, at ASDA, Arnold, Nottingham on FEB 19th 2009,
    Was in a display case behind counter, Was unpacked but had not been used , few finger prints,
    everything except netbook still in sealed wrappers. Thought all stock had been sold weeks previous,
    only went in the store to get cd cases, got lucky.

Paid £150

Theborgbabe, Mar 12, 2009
Ask a Question