Cheap Upgrade from SSD to 1.8 HDD

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by TantalusFld, Mar 29, 2009.

1. TantalusFld

TantalusFld

I just finished upgrade from the terribly slow 8g ssd to Samsung 40g 1.8 zif drive. Got the drive from Overstockdealz.com for $19 US, shipped in 4 days (within US) and was brand new, works fine! http://www.overstockdealz.com/products.asp?id=HS040HB I had ordered a 1.8 zif to 2.5 ide adapter for $4.95 US off Ebay free shipping from Hong Kong. Used that to copy over the entire installed Windows XP off the SSD to a large drive, then back thru the adapter to the new drive using Easeus Drive Copy. Then expanded the image from 8g to 40g using Easeus Partition Manager. (both programs free download from Cnet.) Windows XP booted up and all my stuff was still there. To use the Samsung drive you need a ribbon cable that is white at the drive end and blue for the motherboard end. This cable was included with the zif adapter. You only need a flip cable for copying off the original SDD mated to the zif adapter. I made one by sanding the original ribbion on the top side one end. My AA1 runs much faster and has plenty of room now.
    EDIT: Didn't realize when I posted this, OverstockDealz only ships to US address. Hope this is still usefull for some of you.

TantalusFld, Mar 29, 2009
  2. TantalusFld

viva

Thank you for your insights. I received my 60 GB Samsung N1 today and gave up trying to insert the ZIF cable to the HD. I guess it's too thick (blue = .35 mm, white = .25 mm) so I have to wait for the ZIF/IDE adapter I also ordered in HK to recycle the SSD. Your report gave me hope that this will work. I hope it won't take too long ;)

Meanwhile, I'm happy with the 1.5 GB RAM I've got after the upgrade and that the AA1 is running in good condition after reassembling it for the first time.

viva, Mar 31, 2009
  3. TantalusFld

TantalusFld

TantalusFld, Apr 1, 2009
  4. TantalusFld

viva

Hi,

finally assembled. You are right, insterting the ZIF cable is really tricky on the HD end. Everything is so small ...
    I had to order a special ZIF cable (blue at MB end, white at HD end), but even with that several tries were necessary. The IDE adaptor shipped with another cable (blue/blue and too short), but it was helpful to try the connections outside the AA1.

Thanks for the link, it was very instructive.

Greetings, André

viva, Apr 6, 2009
  5. TantalusFld

TantalusFld

André were you able to copy your original drive to the new drive? Any problems?

TantalusFld, Apr 6, 2009
  6. TantalusFld

sjpn

sjpn, Apr 7, 2009
  7. TantalusFld

TantalusFld

Looks ok to me. Just make sure pin 1 of one device follows down the same edge of the ribbon as pin 1 of the next device.

TantalusFld, Apr 7, 2009
  8. TantalusFld

lunged

This looks pretty cool - how does it perform compared to the stock SSD? I am getting pretty sick of the lag in OSX with the SSD.

EDIT: Also, am I reading correctly that I will have to order a separate cable? Thanks.

lunged, Apr 13, 2009
  9. TantalusFld

TantalusFld

It peforms very well, much beter than stock ssd. Hard drive is still the way to go at this time. SSD have some work to do.

TantalusFld, Apr 13, 2009
  10. TantalusFld

sjpn

what is the rpm on the drive you got from overstockdealz?

sjpn, Apr 13, 2009
  11. TantalusFld

TantalusFld

TantalusFld, Apr 14, 2009
  12. TantalusFld

sjpn

thanks. i finally got the time and upgraded the hard drive last night. it showed in bios on the first try. at first, i thought the white end of the cable wasn't going in b/c it only went in like 1 millimeter. and because i had read other posts, i thought my cable end was too thick, and i sanded it down as much as possible. But it made no difference. Then i read someone else say that it barely goes in. so i put in another one and locked it and it was fairly secure. i used tnkgrl's video to give myself a little more confidence about the whole thing. and after some careful placing of double stick tape its running fine.
    i didn't notice much general speed improvement, but that's because i was on ubuntu on my ssd and ubuntu on hdd is about the same. when i get more time, i will do some more i/o intensive tasks (esp. things that need random write...)
    thanks so much for this tip. now i have 1.5GB ($15) ram and 40GB hdd ($20) cables were about $10 w/shipping. So, so far ~$45 to upgrade a $250 netbook and i feel like i learned a lot in the process. next step, maybe to practice soldering and see what else i can mod...
    thanks again.

sjpn, Apr 16, 2009
  13. TantalusFld

TantalusFld

Glad it worked out for you. I didn't notice the speed up until after using my upgrade for a month, I got on someone else's 8gb machine and wow was it dogie slow.

TantalusFld, Apr 16, 2009
  14. TantalusFld

lunged

I just ordered this a few minutes ago and I'm looking forward to the speed bump.
    My question now is this - do I need to buy a new cable to install it? I am NOT looking to do anything with my SSD at the moment. I just want to do a clean install to the HD. If so, what cable will I need? Thanks for the help.

lunged, May 5, 2009
  15. TantalusFld

TantalusFld

Lunged,

You will need a 10 cm blue at one end, white on the Samsung end, available on Ebay from Hong Kong (takes two weeks). You could sand the original cable a little thinner. It only goes in the sansung drive about 1-2 mm.

Jim

TantalusFld, May 6, 2009
  16. TantalusFld

lunged

Okay, thanks. I wasn't sure if that was just for transferring data outside the netbook or for actual use in the netbook. I guess I'll try sanding first. Hey, my girlfriend lives in Hong Kong... but I'm sure Ebay is still a better deal!

lunged, May 6, 2009
  17. TantalusFld

Brix

I was able to upgrade to the HD by sanding the original cable down. Works like a champ. I had some issues with Ubuntu installing, but looks like it works great now. Might try to install the Win 7 RC tonight. Thanks again for the great find, my brother in law might try it later this week.

Brix, May 13, 2009
  18. TantalusFld

TantalusFld

The ribbion is the only hard part of this otherwise easy upgrade. Glad you made it work.

TantalusFld, May 13, 2009
  19. TantalusFld

Brix

Yes it took a while, I had to sand a littler harder but fit after a couple of minutes of sanding. I had a pretty tough time trying to figure out how to physically fit the drive into a comfortable position in the case. I also did not want to bend the ribbon too much so that I would not break it. A pretty easy upgrade once it was all said and done. I installed the Win7 RC1 this morning and works great. I love this forum!

Brix, May 13, 2009
Ask a Question