Cheap, light 13-14'' laptop

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by Devon Kennedy, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Devon Kennedy

Devon Kennedy

Hi all, I'm a college student looking to get a laptop (my previous one was lost to an unfortunate spillage incident that need not be discussed). I'll probably just use it for schoolwork, going on the internet, writing, listening to music, some basic photo editing - nothing too esoteric. I shouldn't spend too much money on it, so I'm looking at ones in the $600 or less range. I'm hoping for one that:

-Has Windows 10
    -Has a 13.3'' or 14'' screen
    -Has at least 4 GB of RAM and 128 GB of storage
    -Has at least 7 hours of battery life
    -Is light enough to carry around - ideally 4 pounds or less

I looked around a bit. Specifically I looked at Acer, Asus, and HP laptops, because I read that they are the more ethical companies (and narrowing it down makes this process a lot easier). I found four that seem good:

-Acer Aspire V 13 V3-372T: http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/NX.G7CAA.001

-Acer Aspire S 13 S5-371: http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/NX.GCHAA.002

-Asus VivoBook E403SA: http://store.asus.com/us/item/201602AM020000623/A44590

-HP Pavilion x360 Convertible Laptop (13.3’’) T5M66AV_1: http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/Laptops/hp-pavilion-x360--13t-laptop-t5m66av-1

I'm not sure which of these would be best, though. Does anyone have a recommendation for which out of these four I should get? Or, does anyone suggest something different? Much appreciated!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
    Devon Kennedy, Aug 8, 2016
  2. Devon Kennedy

Elektron

Well, I'm actually one of the biggest HP fans you will find around, if I were you then I would definitely go ahead and pick the HP one, I've always liked HP devices because of their durability, performance, and their designs are also stunning as well, I would really buy it right ahead, you should consider my recommendation as well as you can wait for more reviews, good luck!

Elektron, Aug 12, 2016
    Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  3. Devon Kennedy

Krissttina Isobe

I too am looking for a new laptop or tablet to get in about November of 2016. I like the ease of the tablets, but I love a keyboard too. Well I'll keep window shopping and testing to find the right one for me. I do light writing, play games, like to listen to youtube and upload pictures so I'll need usb port.

Krissttina Isobe, Aug 12, 2016
  4. Devon Kennedy

Elektron

According to your tastes and what you're specifically going to use the device for, I personally would recommend you buying a mini-laptop so it is going to be more comfortable for you since it fits your needs, you can do all that you stated above with a mini-laptop, you also have a keyboard which is what you're mostly looking for.

Elektron, Aug 13, 2016
  5. Devon Kennedy

cluckeyo

cluckeyo, Aug 13, 2016
  6. Devon Kennedy

Corzhens

I am an HP user, my laptop is Elite which my husband covets. However, an HP is more expensive than Acer although they are in the same league. I can't say anything about Asus except that it is cheaper than HP and Acer. But with the performance, I can vouch for HP mainly because of my experience for more than 2 years with no issues. By the way, that 13" laptop is a moderate size that is ideal for an active person.

Corzhens, Aug 15, 2016
  7. Devon Kennedy

Elektron

Well I barely think HP could be better than ASUS, I vouch for ASUS this time, I definitely would recommend ASUS instead of HP and Acer, for real, those parts are definitely well made and the qualiy and performance are absolutely good, I can tell that, believe me, think about it twice before buying HP over ASUS.

Elektron, Aug 15, 2016
    Corzhens likes this.
  8. Devon Kennedy

Corzhens

Thank you for that advice. The truth is we are still groping for the laptop that our budget can afford. Admittedly, HP is expensive and I really doubt that money will come to augment our budget of $600. Our survey yielded an ideal laptop with regards to hardware specs of basic configuration at around $800 and the difference of $200 is big money here. But anyway, we will include ASUS in the list of our choices. Thanks again.

Corzhens, Aug 15, 2016
  9. Devon Kennedy

rz3300

Well cheap and lightweight is certainly the way to go for me, but you do have to be careful that you do not go too cheap. I have made that mistake, and it really is all about finding that one that seems to fit. I actually went with a Chromebook and I really like it, and getting a full scale laptop is probably going to run you around $1,000, which I was just not ready to spend. Thanks for sharing.

rz3300, Aug 15, 2016
  10. Devon Kennedy

vinaya

I have used HP, Dell and Lenovo. Based on pricing, Lenovo is a great Laptop. Lenovo is the only Chinese brand hat I vouch for. Lenovo also has a great design, good battery life and performs well. HP also has a range of laptops on Budget. I have not used Acer, however, I amtold that Acer has budget laptops with good performance.

vinaya, Aug 15, 2016
  11. Devon Kennedy

Elektron

I do really know how it feels, $200 is also a LOT in my country and it definitely is a big save when it comes to buying a PC, however, I really keep my word and recommend you ASUS devices, that's absolutely one of the best brands in the market nowadays, no doubt about it, you should try that one out, for real.

Elektron, Aug 16, 2016
  12. Devon Kennedy

Krissttina Isobe

:)Today, amazon.com window shopping found me Dell Latitude D620 Notebook, though it's i2 the business notebook stats is outstanding, to me! Cost is under $200 today at amazon.com. I just asked the search window laptops under $200 and it popped up! I got to do more research on it though.

Krissttina Isobe, Aug 22, 2016
  13. Devon Kennedy

Elektron

I recommend you to do some more research on it, you never know why they have it on discount, look up for pros, cons and that sort of infomation. Make sure it is what you're looking for. Good luck.

Elektron, Aug 29, 2016
  14. Devon Kennedy

Krissttina Isobe

Okay, I don't mind an i3, but I got to be able to take pictures like with a Galaxy tab, but I want a keyboard. 2 in one or a laptop tablet that's priced right. I'll keep my research on. Good point you brought up...learned something...thanks!

Krissttina Isobe, Aug 30, 2016
  15. Devon Kennedy

Elektron

I really recommend you the i3 and the i7 processor, people do not really recommend the i5 for any gaming purpose, I do not really know what you're planning on doing with your Laptop, but if you have the possibilities of getting an i3 or an i7 then go ahead, I support you.

Elektron, Sep 1, 2016
Ask a Question