Charging Problem

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by vinaya, Sep 11, 2016.

1. vinaya

vinaya

Recently, my laptop is giving me a headache. It fails to charge. Initially I thought the battery had problem, thus I began using another battery, however, the problem is same. I also tried another adapter, but charging problem is still there. Its not that the laptop does not charge, it charges, but I have have to twist and turn the adapter or change the laptop position.

vinaya, Sep 11, 2016
  2. vinaya

something back

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
    something back, Sep 11, 2016
  3. vinaya

Elektron

There's a little piece right in the spot where you plug in the charger's jack which is called "charge receptacle" or at least that's how we call it here. That piece tends to get detached from the motherboard and you have to get it welded as soon as possible in order to fix your problem. Good luck.

Elektron, Sep 11, 2016
  4. vinaya

rz3300

Thank you for this. I feel like anytime I can have a little better understanding of the hardware it makes it easier to diagnose a problem or at least rule something out if I take it in. At the very least, the repair will think that I know computers really well and he won't try to cheat me out of some money. I have no proof of this, but I cannot help but think it happens.

rz3300, Sep 13, 2016
  5. vinaya

djtech

Well, I learn something new everyday. I didn't know about this charge receptacle. I don't think this is a common problem though, is it? It seems more like something that rarely happens.

Also, you could verify that it is an internal problem. Check the whole setup with someone else's laptop. Do it step by step. You know, first try using your charger on another device, then see if that adapter works or not, and finally check the amps mentioned on your machine and make sure the charger really does provide enough current to the machine.

djtech, Sep 13, 2016
  6. vinaya

Corzhens

That's also my suspicion. It's like the jack (or plug) is somewhat loose that it sometimes connects and most of the time does not connect. If that is the case, that is repairable, I guess so you have to bring it to the computer shop for the proper diagnosis and remedy.

This is the wonder of this forum, you get to think deeper in order to give a fair evaluation of the problems brought forth by the members. And we learn a lot from the diagnoses and suggestions.

Corzhens, Sep 13, 2016
    something back likes this.
  7. vinaya

Karen Gordon

I guess if indeed that is your problem you will have to evaluate whether it is worth fixing or not. I don't know how much it would be to weld or fix that charge receptacle, but I bet it is not cheap. However, my guess is that it would end up being cheaper than buying an entire new laptop, although some can be purchased affordably.

Karen Gordon, Sep 13, 2016
  8. vinaya

AntonioCalcano

I don't think fixing a charger is a good idea, specially if it's faulty it can give you a lot of problems in the future after being fixed, not to mention that your equipment can also suffer and in the end it will be a lot more expensive buying a new computer or fixing it than buying a new charger. Chargers are not that expensive and you should do just fine with a generic one if it's from a good company.

AntonioCalcano, Sep 15, 2016
  9. vinaya

Elektron

Well, I personally thought that it only happened in my country. Technicians are always trying to take advantage from those people who don't really know too much about PCs and that sort of devices so they can basically "legally steal" from you without you even noticing of it. Good luck.

Elektron, Sep 15, 2016
Ask a Question