Charging battery

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by cluckeyo, Jun 1, 2016.

1. cluckeyo

cluckeyo

Is it ok, to leave my battery plugged in all the time? I rarely unplug it, but sometimes I do.It is a hassle to plug and unplug it, when it usually sits in the same place all the time, accessible to the electricity. Am I really messing up here, or is this ok?

cluckeyo, Jun 1, 2016
  2. cluckeyo

Corzhens

What do you mean battery, of your laptop battery's charger or your laptop? From what I know, the battery heats up when it is charging and it continues heating up even when fully charged. That applies to cellphone batteries and I guess it also applies to laptop batteries. There is a disclaimer by one battery maker (I forgot the brand, sorry) that charged batteries should be unplugged for overcharging may cause the battery to explode or cause fire (maybe due to the overheating).

Corzhens, Jun 1, 2016
  3. cluckeyo

Sefie

I always take the battery out and rely on the AC :) I didn't do that with my other laptop, and guess what? The battery didn't last! I know some people say leaving the battery in doesn't matter, but from my experience I can tell you it does matter, at least in certain laptops. Why risk it?

Sefie, Jun 1, 2016
  4. cluckeyo

sparkster

No, you shouldn't do this. Depending on the type of battery you are using, it can cause the battery to begin discharging whilst plugged. This isn't good. Once the battery starts discharging, it effectively begins destroying the battery cells rendering them incapable of holding a charge. The longer you leave it plugged in, the more it discharges the battery. Eventually, all the battery cells in the battery will be incapable of holding a charge and even when charged full it will only last a few minutes. I don't know if this is the same with more modern lithium-ion batteries but I would still suggest taking care not to overcharge your battery anyway.

sparkster, Jun 2, 2016
  5. cluckeyo

IcyBC

If you are going to use electric solely, then take out the battery or otherwise, your battery will be damage. Those above me have said it; it is not a good idea!

IcyBC, Jun 3, 2016
  6. cluckeyo

vinaya

Plugging your laptop to the power supply all the time drains the battery life. However, charging your laptop's battery couple of times while you are working for a long time is also very frustrating. In my place electricity is very unreliable thus I plug my laptop to power supply all the time,

vinaya, Jun 3, 2016
  7. cluckeyo

acheno84

It's so strange to think that keeping something plugged in will actually damage the power source, but it's true. It's like how cell phones now will tell you "Your device is fully charged; please unplug to maintain power". It's the same thing for anything else that needs to be recharged. I have a set of rechargeable batteries. They are now on their last leg and only stay charged for about an hour or two. I have been guilty of leaving them on the charger for days at a time, thus causing more damage to the batteries and dwindling their life rather than extending it. Definitely unplug your laptop every once in a while.

acheno84, Jun 3, 2016
  8. cluckeyo

Davienna

So I have been damaging my laptop and phone. I now posted a thread asking the same questions because I did not see this post and was searching all along. Thanks for the advice, no wonder why my phones and laptops always go so fast and it's always a battery problem.

Davienna, Jul 25, 2016
  9. cluckeyo

cluckeyo

It's probably true for all electronic equipment. I find it to be a pain to keep unplugging and plugging in all the time. But I supposei t is necessary. I am doing pretty well with keeping my stuff unplugged now. But we do have an electric wheel chair in the house that is currently not in use, and I bet I should start doing the plug and unplug thing with that too. @Corzhens Because if you leave things unplugged, I'm assuming that's not good either. Is that true, is it bad to leave things unplugged all the time when not in use?

cluckeyo, Jul 25, 2016
  10. cluckeyo

acerme2

My laptop is almost 2 years old but its battery power has not declined significantly. It is almost always plugged in the whole day because of my online work which keeps me on the internet for like 24/7. I give it an occasional drain time though and this usually happens when I have to work outside. I am wary about relying on plugged power too much because a cousin once tried that to prolong his laptop's battery's life but ended up damaging the laptop's main fuse and eventually, its motherboard.

acerme2, Jul 31, 2016
    cluckeyo likes this.
  11. cluckeyo

cluckeyo

Thank you for this information. I really want to keep them plugged in while I work but I had not thought of giving them a drain time. that will work just fine, I will do that. Good post!!

cluckeyo, Aug 7, 2016
Ask a Question