Changing Root Login password

Discussion in 'Linux' started by mannswurld, Feb 18, 2010.

1. mannswurld

mannswurld

I can't remember my root login password. I read that I can change it by entering Run Level 1 but I can't figure out how to do this. Can anyone help me please?

mannswurld, Feb 18, 2010
  2. mannswurld

RockDoctor

You have to get to the boot menu and modify the kernel line - just add a "1" (without the quotes) to the end of the line.

The other way to deal with the problem would be to boot off a live USB stick, mount the AA1's internal drive, and, as root, edit /etc/shadow on the AA1's internal drive.

RockDoctor, Feb 21, 2010
  3. mannswurld

mannswurld

Thanks RockDoctor - but how do I get to the boot menu? ? :?

mannswurld, Feb 22, 2010
  4. mannswurld

RockDoctor

To get to the boot menu, normally you'd hit the <Esc> key as soon as something appears on the screen. My strategy is to keep hitting it repeatedly, as fast as I can. Once you can see the boot menu, use the up and down arrow keys to navigate to the boot sequence you want to modify (probably the first one), then press the <e> key to edit.

RockDoctor, Feb 22, 2010
  5. mannswurld

galateacalipso

I don't understand Linux!!root?xfce?

Please help me! I'm not sure how....but I changed the configuartion of the xfce desktop. Now just can't open the desktop settings in the menu. I try with xfce-setting-show but nothing. why?
    In the other hand I can't change the root! I try with sodu-su but they ask me the currently password...and I don't know it?
    :?:
    thanks

galateacalipso, Feb 24, 2010
  6. mannswurld

RockDoctor

Re: I don't understand Linux!!root?xfce?

I can't help you with Linpus/XFCE other than suggest you switch to a better-supported Linux distro. As I mentioned previously, you can boot into runlevel 1, which will allow you to change the root password.
    1. As the AA1 boots, keep pressing the <ESC> key until the boot menu shows up
    2. Press <e> to edit the Linpus boot configuration
    3. Navigate to the kernel line, and press <e> to edit
    4. Navigate to the end of the line, press the space bar, then type the number 1 and press the <Enter> key
    5. Press to boot
    6. You should now be in single-user mode as root.
    7. To change your password type passwd followed by the <Enter> key, and follow the instructions.
    8. At the text-mode prompt, type reboot and press the <Enter> key

RockDoctor, Feb 25, 2010
  7. mannswurld

robert19

i have the same problem on my zg5,is the boot menu youre talkin about acessed by hitting the f2 on start up,when i go into that pressing "e" for edit does nothing?

robert19, Apr 2, 2011
Ask a Question