Changing desktop symbols using group-app.xml

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by icouldiwill, Aug 6, 2008.

1. icouldiwill

icouldiwill

I've been trying to do some changes concerning my desktop icons.
    Very simply I want to
    1- create an icon or audacity under Work
    2- delete the icon for hotmail under connect

So first I read all the past posts on this forum and got some ideas as to what I'd change.
    Then I changed the
    /home/user/.config/xfce4/desktop/group-app.xml by adding a line
    <add sequence="7">/usr/share/applications/fedora-audacity.desktop</app>
    and adding
    !-- just before app of webmail.desktop

When I rebooted I saw the xml was change to default version. So I opened terminal, logged in as root and copied my edited version on the /etc/xdg/xfce4/desktop version and rebooted.

No change. But I realized the one under /home/user/.config/xfce4/desktop/ was still the default one so I copied the edited version over it rebooted. That's when all went very strange.

Desktop looked pale and only was an image, not clickable, no right-click also (I have the advanced menu). :oops: After I recovered from my initial heart attack I realized the search box worked so I opened Thunar and changed the /home/user/.config/xfce4/desktop/ version back to default and all went back to normal.

What is going on? I tried a few more times just trying to disable hotmail by !-- and it did the same strange thing again. By the way I still have the edited version under /etc/xdg/xfce4/desktop but it seems this is slowing down the shut down.

Please help me regarding how to add and remove icons on the desktop.

Thank you...

icouldiwill, Aug 6, 2008
  2. icouldiwill

Guest Guest

To remove an icon I just delete the line that refers to that icon in the xml file.

To edit the xml file I run terminal, then changed the directory to where the xml file is located, then type "sudo mousepad group-app.xml"

I've been only somewhat successful in adding icons. I can get them on the homepage (see the other posts for that), but I think that my desktop is a bit screwy because one icon I made is displayed on the desktop but does not run when click, yet when I rightclick the desktop and go to other applications (this menu I assume is created from /usr/share/applications/) and click on the application I made a .desktop file for it runs fine.

Guest, Aug 7, 2008
  3. icouldiwill

veetrik

Instead of deleting anything I just comment the lines out. A comment in XML begins with .

veetrik, Aug 7, 2008
  4. icouldiwill

icouldiwill

I can understand the basics of editing the xml
    but which group-app.xml is that you are editing?

is it the one under /home/user/.config/xfce4/desktop/
    or /etc/xdg/xfce4/desktop?

icouldiwill, Aug 8, 2008
  5. icouldiwill

Conphas

did you check the fedora-audacity.desktop file for errors? Alot of my problems have been with mistakes in my desktop files, 2 of them have caused complete xfce crashes. Another time caused the default to be restored like yours. The time it was restored I had tried linking to a desktop file that wasn't there.

also, the /etc/xdg/xcfe4/desktop/ isnt what you should be editing. you only want to change the /home/usr/ settings. If you need the original version of the the group-app.xml, send me a message with your email and I can send you it.

Conphas, Aug 8, 2008
  6. icouldiwill

Conphas

Conphas, Aug 8, 2008
  7. icouldiwill

dandesigns

this one: /home/user/.config/xfce4/desktop/group-app.xml

dandesigns, Aug 8, 2008
  8. icouldiwill

icouldiwill

Thank you, I'm sorted now.

The mistake I made was to put <-- at the beginning without the --> at the end! It's a silly little mistake but I also find it not that reasonable that the whole desktop crashed because of this.

And yes, I have changed the one under .config and it's been fine.

I still need to learn how to have the root privileges (sign in as root) in graphic mode (to be able to delete or certain files without having to learn the terminal commands.) Now I have my some icons on my desktop with very long names that I want to change. Your help will be very appreciated.

Thanks

icouldiwill, Aug 10, 2008
  9. icouldiwill

Guest Guest

To get root in graphical mode I run a terminal and do "sudo Thunar" This brings up the File manager in root and everything you open in the file manager opens in root. But be very careful.

Guest, Aug 10, 2008
Ask a Question