CD or DVD Software

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by mike, Aug 18, 2008.

1. mike

mike

Hi

I have some software that needs the DVD or CD can I copy this to a SD card & run it as I had a cd/dvd drive.

Regards.
    Mike.

mike, Aug 18, 2008
  2. mike

KiNG

1. attach an external drive to your acer aspire one (or do step 2 and copy the saved image onto a memory card from another pc with a cd/dvd drive)
    2. using a program such as nero/clonecd etc and make an image on your hard drive (save to a folder doesnt matter were)
    3. download deamon tools
    4. once deamon tools is installed, select the image file you created in (2) and it will appear as if there is a cd in the drive :)
    5. install the program and run as normal

windows xp model :)

KiNG, Aug 19, 2008
  3. mike

mike

Thanks for your help.
    Mike.

mike, Aug 19, 2008
  4. mike

Grim Squeaker

This of course assumes you have the windows version. Under linux you can mount iso images directly.

Grim Squeaker, Aug 27, 2008
  5. mike

evi1d33d

I heard that if you are on a network you can share the DVD drive on a different computer. I assume it's windows only.

evi1d33d, Sep 5, 2008
  6. mike

woofer00

Drives can be made visible through Windows' networking functions, but you really don't want to do this. It will make the network connections of both computers miserable and be choppy at best. It would be faster and less stressful (in my own opinion and experience) to rip the file on another computer, push to a USB drive, transfer to the one, then mount and install. It's a bit of a daunting task the first time you do it, but after that it's a breeze. The only downside is waiting for the transfer to USB, but that usually isn't so much of a hassle as a waiting game.

woofer00, Sep 8, 2008
  7. mike

snowwy66

first off, i just open the cd and copy and paste the files to sd. some programs work. i have one cd that don't. i also use a usb adapter for sd. as that seems to work faster then just sliding the sd into a slot.

second method. there is a method of installing vista onto sd. it works for any cd you want to copy. and gaurantees a successful install off the sd. no matter what program. although it's more time consuming. THIS METHOD DON'T WORK FOR XP. it won't read the card for some reason so you'll have to use that bartpe method for installing xp through usb.

thirdly. i have my pc setup to share the dvd rom drive. my network isn't choppy one bit. i can do it wirelessly or wired. the xp version we have though is a little tricky setting up as it seems to want to fight you before it actually detects the network. but once done. works everytime. click on your network places and you'll see your pc. click on that and see you the rom drive. click on that and the cd opens up. look for the setup file that says application type. and BAM. installation begins.
    this is my desired method. my only gripe is my streets programs. which is 2 gigs on dvd. takes over 2 hours to install. everyuthing else works fine. just this one program. i once had vista installed on my aa1. using the sd method. it installed my streets program in 10 minutes. can't figure thatone out but oh well. becuase i don't feel like dealing with the activation bull. i've gone back to the factory xp install. i'm not buying 3 vistas so i can have a copy on pc, laptop, and netbook. i'll activate with whatever motherboard i'm using on pc at the time. since i build my own pc's but the laptops can stay with whatever it comes with. SCREW MSFT.

snowwy66, Sep 13, 2008
  8. mike

ipearl

Oh Linux can Moint ISO directly ???
    Is there any Linux that can run EXE games ?

ipearl, Sep 15, 2008
  9. mike

Duncan_Rowland

yes, make a directory and mount the iso...
    mkdir /mnt/iso
    mount -o loop filename.iso /mnt/iso

Check out wine http://www.winehq.org/
    (or if it's dos dosbox ;) http://www.dosbox.com/
    I've have both on my linpus Aspire One, and have found they work great.

Duncan_Rowland, Sep 16, 2008
  10. mike

razer22

hi i have a wireless printer how do i setup the drivers for my acer one.allso i am runing ubuntu

razer22, Oct 12, 2008
  11. mike

MatthewV

Drivers are included in ubuntu for almost all printers... then it's just a matter of running the Printer Setup tool (System --> Administration --> Printing) and setting up the new printer.

It might help if you let us know what sort of printer, and how it's wireless (built-in, connected to wireless hub?) :)

MatthewV, Nov 3, 2008
  12. mike

DRG

I got my wife A Aspire One for Christmas. Didnt open the box. I was needing to know if there is any software for burning a CD or DVD. Going to buy a external CD/DVD drive for it. If it comes with software for CD/DVD burning I will get that drive instead. Does anyone know. Thanks

DRG, Nov 29, 2008
  13. mike

rbil

You can install k3b which is probably the best Linux burning software. It'll be in the repos.

Cheers.

rbil, Dec 3, 2008
  14. mike

zaccy

Being a PC/Aspire beginner... How do I do this? I have XP on both and a wireless router network in my house.

I want to be able to load stuff on the aspire from my PC drives

Thanks.

zaccy, Dec 29, 2008
  15. mike

hazmat

All you need to do is share the CD drive on your main pc using windows networking. Then on you aspire connect to the sahred drive in network neighborhood.

hazmat, Jan 1, 2009
  16. mike

dobsy

Sorry to hijack but have a question on installing some software.....

I was going to install XP but after researching I think it's above my level and things would just go wrong very quickly.
    I don't understand what ISO, partitions, terminals, networking etc etc mean-I guess I'm just not that way inclined.
    However. I bought the Netbook basically to surf but more importantly to keep my company accounts on so I can work on them from home aswell. It is MYOB accounting package that has a disc to install it. I am hoping I can just get an external CD rom thing, install the software and away we go-is it as simple as this? I doubt it!
    Or can I put the disc in my normal Pc, copy the files to an SD card or USB pen, slot it in the netbook and install that way?

Really appreciate anyone trying to help but can you reply in as 'simple terms' as when technical words get thrown in, I tend to get scared! :lol:

dobsy, Jan 17, 2009
  17. mike

Grim Squeaker

Provided you have the windows version of the Netbook and the windows version of the software (or the linux version with the linux version) - it could be.

Should also work, barring any fancy copyprotection on the cd.

Grim Squeaker, Jan 17, 2009
  18. mike

dobsy

Right, have put the files from the CD (myob accounting package) onto a USB stick, (copied and pasted) put the stick into the Netbook (linux), what do I do now? I can see the files on the screen but clicking on them does'nt do much. i presume I have to 'mount ISO images directly'? How? Step by step please people! I will install this software if it's the last thing I do!

dobsy, Jan 18, 2009
  19. mike

dobsy

Anyone?
    Getting desperate now-won't be long til i get ripped off by a computer shop to do it for me! Or taking it back and getting one with XP on!

dobsy, Jan 19, 2009
  20. mike

Grim Squeaker

An .iso image is a sort of "blueprint" to burn a cd. Linux is intelligent enough to be able to read such blueprints, and as such does not require you to actually burn the cd to be able to see the files. This is what is meant with "mounting isos directly" - which means it is totally irrelevant to your current problem ;)

Can you open up a terminal from the filemanger in the USB folder where all your files are and type
    Code:
    ls -la
    and then copy the results to here ?

I am assuming that linpus does not know the file you wish to run is an executable. This can be solved by typing:
    Code:
    chmod u+x name_of_file_you_wish_to_run
    ./name_of_file_you_wish_to_run
    Where you of course should replace name_of_file_you_wish_to_run by the actual name.

Grim Squeaker, Jan 19, 2009
Ask a Question