Carry over Microsoft Office files

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by PaulH, Jan 4, 2009.

1. PaulH

PaulH

I have just joined and have not yet received my Aspire One with it's Linus innards. Being a writer I need to transfer my work back and forwards from this new Linus system to my main Windows XP, Microsoft Office PC. I have searched the forum and must admit to little in the way of computer literacy but I can not find an answer to this. It is probably a silly question and I'm probably silly asking it - but can anyone tell me that I will be OK to carry, via a suitable vehicle, articles and novels from one to the other without downloading Windows to the Aspire One note book??? (Perhaps I should have asked this before ordering it!) :oops:

PaulH, Jan 4, 2009
  2. PaulH

daldred

Linus Torvalds was the chap who first wrote a Linux kernel. If you've got his innards he'll be upset :)

OpenOffice - the "Writer" application on the Aspire One - will work with Word files. There is an option within Writer to make it automatically save files in Word format; you may well be best to select this option as Word does not always open OpenOffice format files cleanly.

daldred, Jan 4, 2009
  3. PaulH

meng

Yes you can transfer files back and forth between Linux and Windows systems. For most if not all of your files, you will be able to edit/access/use those files with Linux programs, e.g., you can edit Microsoft Word or Excel files, view PDFs, play MP3s, etc.

meng, Jan 4, 2009
  4. PaulH

woodland

Hi PaulH Welcome!

You can get Openoffice for windows too at http://www.openoffice.org/

play and practice a little with it and especially with the "Save as" options daldred already mentioned.

The easiest way and probably fastest way to transfer your files would be by using a USB stick.

woodland, Jan 4, 2009
  5. PaulH

PaulH

Thanks to everyone for their kind and learned replies. I won't worry now about having done the right thing and look forward to the delivery from Amazon - hopefully today.

PaulH, Jan 5, 2009
Ask a Question