Can't shut down my One if anything is mounted

Discussion in 'Linux' started by joe.pelayo, Oct 23, 2008.

1. joe.pelayo

joe.pelayo

Hello there.

I've found a 'flaw' (another?) in the Linpus installed in my One.

Here is the thing: if I happen to use any external storage device and turn off the machine without removing it first, the machine will 'try' to shut down but it won't, after some seconds of supposedly shutting down it will just hang (with a 'blank' screen) and I have to manually turn it off with the power button. So far I have not found subsequent problems as a result of that latter action.

So, now I am careful to always remove external storage devices, and that solved the problem until I realized the problem also happened after the expansion of the disk space through a SSD card (left slot). Now that's a problem because I think I am not supposed to be removing that card everytime I shut down the computer, am I?

Have anyone realized this problem? Is there a fix?

Thanks.
    Joe.

joe.pelayo, Oct 23, 2008
  2. joe.pelayo

rbil

This can certainly develop into a problem, a major problem - if the power button is not setup to do a "Shutdown" when pushed. You always want to shutdown a linux computer and not just kill it by cutting the power.

This SHOULD NOT be happening. The card in the left slot should be left in and there shouldn't be a problem shutting down because it is there. Since I've never experienced a problem shutting down with a SD card in the left slot, I don't know what to suggest for a solution. I know this isn't much help, but this is something you're going to have to find a solution for, because killing your computer with the power off button is just asking for problems - UNLESS - you've setup that power button to do a shutdown when it is pushed, which is a possibility if it's configured to do so. On my system, I've updated the KPowersave utility, so can't remember now if the original one offers button settings for such things as shutdown. Take a look by right-clicking on the power icon on your panel and see whether you can configure it that way.

Cheers.

rbil, Oct 23, 2008
  3. joe.pelayo

cpchan

Any output to dmesg with regards to the shutdown? What happens when you do a:

Code:
    sudo shutdown -h now
    from a console?

cpchan, Oct 23, 2008
  4. joe.pelayo

joe.pelayo

Hello again.

Well, I sort of figured it out and solved the problem. The fact was that the SD card was formated with ext3 (my choice) and for some reason Linpus showed that behavior. After formatting the card to ext2 (FAT32 would have worked as well, I tried with another card using that file system) the problem was gone, at least the part of the left SD card (my big concern).

Another problem I previously had was the fact of being unable to create folders (or files for that matter) in the directories I was supposed to, AFTER having expanded the storage with the left SD slot. The problem here was that I didn't give the user 'user' (Linpus default) permissions to write the card, and since it had an advanced file system (permissions wise), it noticed and didn't allow writing. For those using FAT32 formatted SD cards (default) this shouldn't be a problem.

I'll try that later.

Thanks.
    Joe.

joe.pelayo, Oct 24, 2008
Ask a Question