Can't see other computers in workgroup/network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tomjonesrocks, Jul 19, 2009.

1. tomjonesrocks

tomjonesrocks

Just got an Aspire One 10" and it seems like it will suit my needs well--but I am having a *lot* of trouble getting it on my network. I got the internet connection working through my home network's wireless router with minimal difficulty. But file sharing and getting the computers to "see" each other is at a standstill.

I have a desktop running Vista Home Premium which connects directly to a wireless router and then another laptop running Vista Home Premium that connects wirelessly. These computers can see each other and they work fine. But the Aspire can't see these computers and vice versa. I set up the Aspire with the same network name and attempted to create an account on each of the computers by the same name on my existing desktop and laptop. I've ensured exceptions were made through the firewall on the Aspire to allow file sharing. Am just not sure why it can't see anyone.

Did anyone else have similar troubles? Suggestions appreciated...

Thanks.

tomjonesrocks, Jul 19, 2009
  2. tomjonesrocks

jerryt

Verify that workgroup names match.

Check IP addresses on each computer can see each other.

Open CMD window and type "ipconfig /all" on each computer.
    Note these number on all computers you want networked. There will be four sets of numbers XXX.XXX.XX.YY
    Make sure the first three sets match, the last set needs to be different.
    Manually confire IP address on the one computer which is different (Your Aspire?).

jerryt, Jul 19, 2009
  3. tomjonesrocks

tomjonesrocks

A few questions--are the DNS server numbers supposed to match?

The default gateway and subnet mask numbers match. What are the other numbers that should match?

I can ping to each computer OK though without losing packets. But what did you mean by "manually configure" the IP on the computer?

Really appreciate the help--would LOVE to get this sorted out...!

Thanks again.

tomjonesrocks, Jul 20, 2009
  4. tomjonesrocks

jerryt

See if this helps;
    http://portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm

jerryt, Jul 20, 2009
  5. tomjonesrocks

tomjonesrocks

Sweet! Setting up the Netbook with a Static IP actually worked. I'm kind of shocked.

Thanks for the assistance...was pretty close to calling a network guy to my house.

tomjonesrocks, Jul 21, 2009
Ask a Question