Can't resove mount with fstab

Discussion in 'Linux' started by dojocho, Apr 2, 2011.

1. dojocho

dojocho

SWMBO has just bought an Aspire 1 (small screen job with Linpus Lite) and I'm trying to make some sense out of it.
    I'm no Linux novice (hell I go back to Unix, and the age of the dinosaurs) and I normally work with openSUSE. Before I start making any changes I want to make sure I don't break anything.
    A quick look at mount and /etc/fstab has me confused.
    # mount reports
    Code:
    /dev/sda1 on / type ext2 (rw)
    none on /mnt/home type aufs (rw,si=efa1fdc0,xino=/home/user/.aufs.xino,create=mfs,dirs=/home/user=rw)
    and /etc/fstab contains
    Code:
    /dev/sda2          /                  ext2          defaults,noatime        1 1
    What's going on here - if fstab says /dev/sda2 is to mount at root then why does mount report that /dev/sda1 is mounted there. Especially as /dev/sda1 is the BACKUP labelled partition.

I want to shrink the /dev/sda2 partition and create new ones to install (e.g.) openSUSE as dual boot and I want to get some sort of encryption going but if I break it I'm dead.

dojocho, Apr 2, 2011
Ask a Question