Cant install XP, Cant get past setup

Discussion in 'Windows' started by aceradam28, Oct 19, 2009.

1. aceradam28

aceradam28

Ok, so my windows XP on my acer aspire A110 (which ran on linux at first) got some bad virus and after a load of system restores I realised it had infected the OS too much... to a point where I gave up and decided to reinstall XP using the same USB I used before.

Unfortunately, stupid dumb me went and did something wrong, which was not deleting the partition with windows before hand, instead I chose to install windows XP over it... everything seemed fine as it was overwriting the system but at about 50% during creating the setup files. An error came up with something along the lines like "cant copy bootvid.dll", a few options came up including ENTER to retry (didnt work) ESC to skip, and F3 to quit setup. I quit redid everything above, but instead the message came up again straight away.

I went back and tried to delete the partition but it said something like cant delete the partition because it contains setup files.

Now I am stuck in a loop, because I cant overite the partition C:\ when install XP and I cant delete it either. I think that the drive needs formatting but Im not sure, can anyone help me...

please... :(

aceradam28, Oct 19, 2009
  2. aceradam28

TechMark

download g parted (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/) and create a bootable cd from the live .iso file. Boot to the cd and you can fix the problem from there

TechMark, Oct 20, 2009
  3. aceradam28

aceradam28

I may have said A110 meaning another aspire one, mine doesn't have a CD drive :?

aceradam28, Oct 20, 2009
  4. aceradam28

TechMark

you can use an external cd drive or you can also make a bootable usb stick just see the site for details...

TechMark, Oct 21, 2009
Ask a Question