Cant get browser to work to get online on desktop?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by bwatt99, Feb 9, 2011.

1. bwatt99

RockDoctor

Actually, I do have an idea - don't know if it will work, so if anybody wants to try it. please don't blame me if your system ends up in an unusable state.
    1. Uninstall any Firefox upgrade:
    Code:
     rpm -e firefox
    2. Install the F8 version of Firefox from the fedora archive:
    Code:
    rpm -ivh [url]http://archives.fedoraproject.org/pub/archive/fedora/linux/releases/8/Everything/i386/os/Packages/firefox-2.0.0.8-2.fc8.i386.rpm[/url]

RockDoctor, Mar 2, 2011
  2. bwatt99

womble

Hi again
    Donec
    yes it is a ZG5 i have no idea how to change the OS to be honest.

I dont want much i just the bloody thing to work so my mrs will stop bending my ear :lol: :lol:

womble, Mar 3, 2011
  3. bwatt99

donec

Do you have an external CD/DVD burner and another computer that you can use to download the needed software? If so the instillation of a new system is quite straight forward and easy. In any event I'd be glad to help.

donec, Mar 3, 2011
  4. bwatt99

djstuffy

Same problem occurring: i.e. network connection ok; but clicking "browser" does nothing.

Installing new operating system sounds too much of a challenge;
    However, solved short term by restoring back to factory defaults using Acer backup/restore cd (good job I kept it somewhere safe) through external drive; although after reboot same original problem occurs.

Solved longer term by short term solution, followed (prior to re-boot) by installing a alternative browser (e.g., in my case, Opera)

Internet access now fine, but have to kick off through "Alt F2" and type OPERA at command prompt (I may eventually put this onto the desktop when I discover how).

Hope this helps.

djstuffy, Mar 20, 2011
Ask a Question