Cant get browser to work to get online on desktop?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by bwatt99, Feb 9, 2011.

1. bwatt99

bwatt99

I have a Acer aspire a50l/intel atom n270 1.6ghz/512mb/120gb/8.9/linux notebook
    which uses linux lite im sure have had this for a few years now and been using it as a main computer still workds fine and never had much trouble.
    Today i was trying to view a website from germany which i wanted to read in english using translator but had trouble viewing each page anyway i sene an option to i think download google toolbar or was it browser anyway since then when i go to my desktop and click on my browser button i can get on the net now.

I dont know what i have done or how to fix this,i thought i had downloaded google toolbar which im sure have used before on the computer but i just cant get on the net now,even though my wirelss conection says its ok

i get the message firefox is already running but is not responding.to open a new window you must first close the existing firefox process or restart your system.

i have tried restart,switching it off etc and still cant get it to work,what should i do or how do i get this working again

Since i download what i did i can get to work,i tried logging onto msn and other things withing the linux browser and they log in and my computer shows a strong signal ut i just cant get the browser page to open up so i can get online,im sure is something simple that needs do to fix this but i have no idea what i do and i am not really that great when it comes to this system or computers in general,well some knowledge,so try and explain how to sort this as simple as possible please.

bwatt99, Feb 9, 2011
  2. bwatt99

bwatt99

bump

bwatt99, Feb 10, 2011
  3. bwatt99

donec

This has popped up several times recently and has been discussed a lot.

Try starting Firefox i safe mode as it could be an extension does not work with the new version of Firefox. To start Firefox in safe mode right click on the icon and select properties. When the properties window opens then add " -safemode" to the end of the command, without the quotes making sure you add the space before the dash. To run Firefox in regular mode just remove the " -safemode" statement.

If it is more than that like you can't right click on the desktop and get to properties then I suggest upgrading to Linux Mint which runs great on my ZG5.

donec, Feb 11, 2011
  4. bwatt99

bwatt99

before we even start to do what you mention where do i find firefox,there is nothing there to click on on my desktop,you maybe getting mixed up with another operating system but i need to know where i would click on firefox if i can find that then i can try and see what happens.

bwatt99, Feb 11, 2011
  5. bwatt99

donec

As I said before "If it is more than that like you can't right click on the desktop and get to properties then I suggest upgrading to Linux Mint which runs great on my ZG5." Your best option is to change Operating System (OS) like Linux Mint.

The Linpus OS as it came installed on Acer Aspire One was designed to not allow certain functions to make it so simple it would be hard for a newbie to mess up. If you want to fix Linpus you will need to use the terminal. However you won't need the terminal for Linux Mint but Linux Mint is not as fast as Linpus more like Windows.

donec, Feb 12, 2011
  6. bwatt99

bwatt99

have not a clue what to do here,the info your giving me i dont know where to start or what i have to do,please explain in details as i have no idea what your trying to tell me here.

bwatt99, Feb 13, 2011
  7. bwatt99

donec

What I am trying to tell you is that unless you are Linux savvy then you will probably not get Firefox to work any more with Linpus.

I am also trying to tell you that there is an option of putting a different OS (Operating System) on you computer. If you decide to put a different OS on your computer I recommend Linux Mint.

If you decide to put Linux Mint on your computer then I will try and guide you through the process.

I can not make the decision for you. All I can do is tell you the steps you need to do to preform a specific task.

donec, Feb 13, 2011
  8. bwatt99

RockDoctor

1. Open a terminal window
    2. Type the following code, followed by the enter key
    Code:
    firefox -safemode
    If you don't know how to open a terminal window, I can't really help you (unless Alt-F2 brings up a run dialog - I haven't used Linpus for so long I don't recall if it's set up with that shortcut)

RockDoctor, Feb 14, 2011
  9. bwatt99

bwatt99

I am able to bring up terminal as you say its very easy but on what you said to type in you say code:select all do i put this all in just select all and in lower case or caps or do i enter the other firefox -safemode nothing seems to work in what you have mentioned??

bwatt99, Feb 15, 2011
  10. bwatt99

RockDoctor

Type "firefox -safemode" without the quotes, then press the enter key

RockDoctor, Feb 15, 2011
  11. bwatt99

bwatt99

got the following come up

run error

command firefox-safemode failed to run

failed to execute child process firefox-safemode no such file or directory

bwatt99, Feb 15, 2011
  12. bwatt99

RockDoctor

there should be a space after the word firefox

RockDoctor, Feb 15, 2011
  13. bwatt99

bwatt99

i did what you said and get same message,if i put a tick in the box where it says below run terminal with the command you told me to enter i get a white screen saying terminal with a black small square at the start,as if maybe something needs to be typed in other that that thats it,i have had that screen up before using i think same methods but im not sure what the command you have given me is supposed to do?

bwatt99, Feb 16, 2011
  14. bwatt99

RockDoctor

On my system, typing the command
    Code:
    firefox-safemode
    in a terminal window or in a run dialog box that I obtain by pressing <Alt-F2> when the cursor is sitting anywhere on the desktop runs a copy of firefox. Not sure why it's not working for you. Another option for you would be to rename the file .mozilla (located in your home folder) to something else, then start firefox.

RockDoctor, Feb 17, 2011
  15. bwatt99

bwatt99

where do i find the home folder then to try what you said,surely this is not this hard to sort out?

bwatt99, Feb 17, 2011
  16. bwatt99

bwatt99

this did not get very far??

bwatt99, Feb 20, 2011
  17. bwatt99

womble

hello everyone
    i have just read the thread with interest as i am having the same problem

i have gone to terminal & typed in firefox -safemode & got this back

line 131: 4673 segmentation fault "$prog" ${1+"$@"}

it is my wifes acer & both of us nave never used linux before

any help please

messenger works fine just no broswer

womble, Mar 2, 2011
  18. bwatt99

donec

Hi womble,

I take it you are running Linpus without any modifications. Am I correct?
    You don't say which model you have but I am guessing ZG5.

I am not knowledgeable in the terminal and it's codes so I can't help with the error message you got, sorry. However! I am not a newbie when it comes to computers and Linux. This is a problem that has come up a lot and I am sorry to say there does not seem to be anyone knowledgeable around that is still using Linpus. You may get some suggestions but I have not seen any that fix the problem.

With that said I would recommend switching to a different OS (Operating System) I use Linux Mint on my ZG5 and it works very well. As far as I am concerned and from the reports I have read it is the easiest Linux distro for Windows users to use.

donec, Mar 2, 2011
  19. bwatt99

RockDoctor

I've seen that problem before (but not recently) on both my ZG5 and one of my desktop PCs when running Fedora Rawhide. It seems to be due to an incompatibility between Firefox and one or more of the libraries upon which it depends. When it happens, I just downgrade Firefox.

RockDoctor, Mar 2, 2011
  20. bwatt99

donec

A lot of people would like to know how to do that with Linpus any ideas?

donec, Mar 2, 2011
Ask a Question