Can't find downloaded program

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by suchmuchfun, Dec 31, 2008.

1. suchmuchfun

suchmuchfun

Hello all. I tried to search before posting here but am having no luck. I followed the process for adding a root password and unlocking advanced mode successfully, and went through the add/remove programs to try downloading a game. I have 2 of these Linux based Acers, and one is my 9 yr old daughter's. She liked the simplicity of it, but I am experimenting on mine first before trying to add programs to hers.

Anyway, I went through the process and downloaded a game (ants). All seemed to go well, but now I can't find it! I would like to be able to add this game to the menu as that is pretty much te only way my daughter would understand.

Help please? I have no real knowledge but can follow instructions usually. :)

suchmuchfun, Dec 31, 2008
  2. suchmuchfun

Ace_Rimmer

Good morning ... let's see if we can get this fixed for you. I'm not at my AAO right now, so will go from memory on a couple of things.

First, when you say you "downloaded" the game, what, exactly, do you mean? If you installed via the package manager then I would expect the program to appear in the Games section of the right-click menu. Have you checked there?

If a program is installed but doesn't appear in the menu, you should be able to run it by first pressing <alt><f2> and entering the program name. I assume the name is ants, but you may need to experiment. Remember that Linux file names are case sensitive so that "ants" and "Ants" refer to different files. "ants" won't execute if you enter "Ants", for example. Also, make sure "run in terminal" is NOT checked.

Well, those are a couple of things to try at first. If you actually downloaded an rpm or something like that we will have to install it. More about that later if needed. Meanwhile, perhaps others will have suggestions.

Edit: If the <alt><f2> method works then all we need to do is add the program to the right-click menu, which is easy to do.

Ace_Rimmer, Jan 1, 2009
  3. suchmuchfun

suchmuchfun

Thanks for the reply, I figured I was alone! I did get it through the package manager as I was supposed to, and I did finally find it on the right click menu as you say.

What I want to do now is add this program (or any program) to the normal menus that pop up when you turn the computer on. I want to add some things to my daughter's computer, but asking her to right click with all those other options there could be dangerous. I like how the computer is locked down for her, so I want to get the programs, install them on the menu, then re-lock the desktop so she won't mistakenly get into the terminal to write an email and start some smart computer on a path to World War 3 that only Matthew Broderick can stop, because, quite frankly, I question his judgement lately.
    (if you didn't understand that last part, sorry. 80's movie I really liked.)

So, my issue now is, in short, adding an icon for an appropriately obtained program to the stock menu.

Again, this is mostly experimentation right now, so I am looking possibly for a "bigger picture" type understanding so I don't have to keep asking dumb questions.

suchmuchfun, Jan 2, 2009
  4. suchmuchfun

daldred

There's a post here which explains how to add an icon to the locked-down menu - it's not impossibly difficult, but it's slightly less than straightforward!

daldred, Jan 2, 2009
Ask a Question