Can't charge a phone via USB,iPhone not seen

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by casual observer, Feb 19, 2011.

1. casual observer

casual observer

Can't find an answer anywhere, so here it goes. Apparently my AOA150 zg5 is not providing enough current through USB to charge cellphones. iPhone is not even recognised. A Motorola is detected but the phone reports 'can't charge', some other phone ( a samsung or blackberry) reports the same 'can't charge' . iTunes does not see iPhone too. WHat's the problem? HOw to charge a phone via USB? The 'turn off USB to conserve energy' option in the device driver manager has been unselected to no avail.Thanx in advance.

casual observer, Feb 19, 2011
  2. casual observer

Swarvey Moderator

Some users that have had the same problem were succesful in charging USB devices when the AAO is plugged into the AC charger. Other than that I'm not sure what you'd want to do, besides maybe buying a cheap powered USB hub.

Swarvey, Feb 20, 2011
  3. casual observer

elPaulio Moderator

Hi there,

I know that some external hard drives come with a lead which has two usb connectors on them, one being for data and power and the other being power only.
    These are for situations such as this where the USB ports dont have enough juice to spin up the drives.

You could look into buying one of these (if they are available) or making up your own one as an extension to the USB cable.
    Quick google brought up this http://forums.makezine.com/comments.php ... sionID=908 which broadly tells you how to make one.
    or http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Double-Power- ... 85fe41e921 this on eBay is the kinda thing i'm talking about.

Just my tuppence worth

Paul :ugeek:

elPaulio, Feb 21, 2011
  4. casual observer

Swarvey Moderator

If you want to kill two birds with one stone, there are loads of cheap USB Notebok HDD cases on eBay (for less than $5) that come with the above mentioned cables. And yes they are indeed there to provide extra current for devices that require it, you'd still have to get an adapter to go from a standard sized USB end to the (more than likely) mini-usb end that your phone requires, or the crApple proprietary plug for the ipod.

Swarvey, Feb 21, 2011
  5. casual observer

casual observer

Interesting, it might be the problem is in the cables or the unlocked iPhone. I just had a different iphone charged via USB here, but not the other one which uses the cable that connects it to the AC charger. Also stuffed a multimeter probes into the USB hole and , got me +/- 5 volts. Thanx for your input meanwhile.

casual observer, Feb 25, 2011
Ask a Question