Canon compatible photo software

Discussion in 'Linux' started by risk42, Jul 29, 2008.

1. risk42

risk42

Hi everyone!

I just had my One a couple of days :D and I'm desperately trying to connect any of my digital cameras to it.
    Yes I could use the built-in card reader but I own a Rebel XT with CF cards :(

I installed Picasa which should automatically detect the connection of a camera but nothing happen when I plug the USB cable... :cry:
    So is there a specific application I should install or do I miss something else?

Thanks! :mrgreen:

risk42, Jul 29, 2008
  2. risk42

stiopa

i have fuji s5100 and system see it like external disk, no instalation required
    maybe canon need extra drivers like sony digital cameras ?

stiopa, Jul 30, 2008
  3. risk42

Sid

As a relative noob, I cant give a direct answer.
    I would be surprised if CF card reader support was not possible it is only a masss storage device.
    Anyone want to comment on this?

Sid, Jul 30, 2008
  4. risk42

risk42

I was willing to avoid using a card reader since when I usually do that I forgot to put back the memory card in my camera... :oops:
    But anyway, good news!
    I managed to connect my 2 cameras (EOS Rebel XT & IXUS 860 IS) with gThumb and it's working perfectly!
    The ONLY thing to do is to log in root so that the USB is accessible! :D

risk42, Jul 31, 2008
  5. risk42

artisvita

could you please explain to a newby how to proceed step by step? my gthumb complains not having access to the usb device.

thanks in advance.

reinhard

artisvita, Aug 8, 2008
  6. risk42

sombrero

reinhard, the problem with gthumb (and digikam) is that these programs need root rights to connect to a camera.
    So you can either:
    open a terminal:
    Code:
    sudo gthumb
    This starts gthumb with root rights and you can connect to your camera and import your pics.
    or:
    Tune Thunar (file manager) in preferences/advanced/camera or something (I don`t know the english version) and add:
    Code:
    sudo /usr/bin/gthumb --import-photos
    Then gthumb will start automatically if you connect your camera to a usb port.

Thread in German AAO-Forum:
    http://www.iphpbb3.com/forum/39151476nx21895/linux-f19/digikam-auf-dem-aao-t95.html

sombrero, Aug 8, 2008
  7. risk42

artisvita

thank you so much sombrero, this seems to be a good solution.

however my camera (powershot s70) needs to be connected several times before it works. the first or second time i get the following error message: An error occurred in the io-library ('Could not claim the USB device'): Could not claim interface 0 (No such device). Make sure no other program or kernel module (such as sdc2xx, stv680, spca50x) is using the device and you have read/write access to the device.

switching the camera on and off several times helps. maybe it's a camera problem. i don't mind as long as it works in the end.

reinhard

artisvita, Aug 8, 2008
Ask a Question