Can you still run the CD/DVD on external DVD drive?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by pandandesign, Feb 3, 2014.

1. pandandesign

pandandesign

I am thinking to purchase an external DVD drive because the one that's attached on my computer doesn't work anymore. I have a few CDs and DVDs that I need to install on my computer in order to get the software running, but I wonder if I'm able to run them on the external DVD drive by connecting it to the computer using the USB cable. Can anyone tell me if this is possible to do so?

pandandesign, Feb 3, 2014
  2. pandandesign

elPaulio Moderator

Hi there,

An external drive will be seen by your computer exactly the same as an internal drive will so yes you will be able to install software.

The only difference you may note is it being slightly slower as you are running through USB.

Paul

elPaulio, Feb 3, 2014
  3. pandandesign

Brian8gbSSDLinux

You can buy a replacement DVD drive for much less than an external Dvd Drive

I usually use a
    LiteOn 8x Internal Slim DVD-RW Black OEM @ £17.50 see the 'advert at bottom of this post

For most laptops, turning it over you'll find it is (usually) ONLY one or two screws holding it in place. remove the screw(s) and the Drive just slides out...

Some Manufacturers fit an adaptor which you have to remove from the old Drive and fit to the new Drive before sliding it into place and refitting the screw(s)

Take a look at these Drives from eBuyer (nothing to do with eBay !)

http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Storage/cat/Optical-Drives?206=Laptop&page=1

hope this is helpful.

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Feb 4, 2014
  4. pandandesign

bobthemuffinman

As others have said, yes, you can run the cd or dvd on the external drive. But as you are not using sata, it may be slower. Are you going to use USB 3.0, firewire or thunderbolt?

bobthemuffinman, Feb 20, 2014
  5. pandandesign

NeroFerk

It should work but it will take a little longer. It is better to do a sata cables for that instead of usb.

NeroFerk, Feb 25, 2014
  6. pandandesign

skywatcher

It should work, but installation might take longer because it's not directly attached to the system. But based on experience, it should still be able to install software.

skywatcher, Apr 2, 2014
  7. pandandesign

Maledictum

Yeah, I use an external dvd player on one of my laptops and have no issues. Its a bit slower but runs stuff fine aside from that.

Maledictum, Apr 6, 2014
  8. pandandesign

mikelouis

For sure it will read that is what it is meant to do. Unless the DVDs are bluray that is when you might want to buy a drive that can read them but if they are the normal CDs and DVDs then be sure that it will have no problem at all.

mikelouis, Apr 7, 2014
  9. pandandesign

Rohan99

Yes you can. An external CD/DVD drive does the same thing that the internal one does the only difference is the way they communicate with the motherboard. The external drive uses USB port and an external source of power while the internal drive uses the SATA or IDE bus and the laptop's power supply unit as the power source. They perform the same functions nevertheless.

Rohan99, Jun 30, 2014
  10. pandandesign

alash

Can't you replace the faulty drive in your computer rather than buy an external drive? The cost of the external is far more than that of an internal drive, also internals don't take up any space compared to chuncky externals.

alash, Jul 20, 2014
Ask a Question