Can you recommend a good book on Linpus Linux

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by sanger, Aug 25, 2008.

1. sanger

sanger

I'm looking for a good book to get me into the guts of Linpus Linux. Would a book on Fedora be good enough. I was tempted to install Ubuntu just because of all the resources available for it but I've been impressed with how nimble Linpus Lite is on the Acer so I think I'll stick with it for now.

sanger, Aug 25, 2008
  2. sanger

rbil

Linpus is a commercialized version of Linux that isn't in wide use as the more popular distros, so I'd doubt anyone has yet written a book on it. It is a derivative of Fedora, so yes a book on that might be useful to you. However, Acer has customized some things to the point that somethings won't work or behave as under a standard Fedora system.

Cheers.

rbil, Aug 25, 2008
  3. sanger

Ace_Rimmer

sanger --

Good idea about wanting to do some reading on the subject! Learning about Linux can be a long and enjoyable journey and learning about one distribution can help you a great deal with the others. It's the kind of subject where you can start out reading and only understand about 10% of the material, but with continued use and study things will start to become clear.

Modern distributions make it possible to do most everything you need in the GUI, but knowing a bit about the command line really helps you understand what is going on, even if you seldom use it.

One book I can recommend is the Linux Pocket Guide by Daniel Barrett, published by O'Reilly. It is written for Fedora and is very command line oriented, and there is a lot in it that you will probably never use, but it does provide a bit of an overview, too. It is a pocket-sized paperback and only about $10.

I started out with Linux for Dummies. Don't know if I would really recommend that, but it gave me enough insight to know that I wanted to try Linux. Once I settled on Ubuntu a couple of years ago I have bought The Official Ubuntu Book and Ubuntu Hacks (O'Reilly), as well as the Linux Phrasebook, Essential Code and Commands, by Scott Granneman, published by Developer's Library. I ALWAYS keep the Linux Phrasebook with my Ubuntu Laptop, no matter where I am. It is another command line book, and sometimes the command line is the only (easy) way to get yourself out of trouble. :roll:

Even after two years of this I am a total n00b, and am in awe of all those guys who know all of those clever commands ("Oh, yeah, just enter woidfnmoa ladkfx -qwpz ./qereifui && foufsubx" -- well, that's what it looks like, anyway. :D )

So, none of these recommendations will help you will the peculiarities of Linpus, but there might be something there that will help you get started.

Ace_Rimmer, Aug 25, 2008
Ask a Question