Can you change the search bar to use google?

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by STKD, Mar 18, 2009.

1. STKD

STKD

Fairly simple question hopefully. Can the desktop/internet search bar be changed so that it will use google by default rather than yahoo, and if so, how can I do this?

STKD, Mar 18, 2009
  2. STKD

GvidoR

I just when through the search bar folder /usr/share/seach-bar/ and the .txt file and the two .sh files didn't contain anything related to Yahoo! :?

GvidoR, Mar 18, 2009
  3. STKD

wollac

Mine opens Google not yahoo. This is my second aspire one and I too seem to remember that it opened yahoo not Google on my first one so I knew it was possible to change therefore I went straight into finding a solution for you!

Ok press alt+F2 and type "/usr/bin/acer-search-desktop.google" (without quotes) and hit enter. If you get the error (if u don't skip to 2):

The command "/usr/bin/acer-search-desktop.google" failed to run:

Failed to execute child process "hi" (No such file or directory)

Then download this:http://www.easy-share.com/1904133579/acer-search-desktop.google (sorry for the stupid download delay but the forum wouldn’t let me attach it so I had to use a fileshare site!) (I copied this file off of my netbook which has this file so I don't get the error!) When it has downloaded locate the file in the file manager (should be downloads or desktop or wherever u saved it) and then right click on it and choose properties. Now select the permitions tab and tick the 'Allow this file to run as a program box. Then press close. Now run it and proceed to 1.

1. Another copy of the searchbar will appear if it doesn't then you’re doomed! (PM me and I’ll try to help) - But it will almost definitely work, then search just to make sure that it uses Google. If it doesn't then you’re also doomed! (PM me and I’ll try to help) but again it should work and I can't think why u would ever have any problem. Next (assuming that it worked) do ctrl+alt+Del and End both the: 'acer-search-desktop.google' process (this closes the new search bar that floats and uses Google) and the 'acer-search-desktop' one, (to make the desktop one close while we do the work). Then go into the terminal (go file manager, then right click and press 'Open Terminal Here' and type: "sudo thunar /usr/bin" (without quotes) then press enter. Now delete the 'acer-search-desktop' file and then (leaving this window open) open the other window (the one with the download in it) and rename the 'acer-search-desktop.google’ file to 'acer-search-desktop' (without quotes) and then copy it. Go back to the '/usr/bin' window (the one we left open) and paste it. Now close everything and restart. Skip to 3.

2. Another copy of the searchbar will appear if it doesn't then you’re doomed! (PM me and I’ll try to help) - But it will almost definitely work, then search just to make sure that it uses Google. If it doesn't then you’re also doomed! (PM me and I’ll try to help) but again it should work and I can't think why u would ever have any problem. Next (assuming that it worked) do ctrl+alt+del and End both the: 'acer-search-desktop.google' presses (this closes the new search bar that floats and uses Google) and the 'acer-search-desktop' one, (to make the desktop one close while we do the work). Then go into the terminal (go file manager, then right click and press 'Open Terminal Here' and type: "sudo thunar /usr/bin" (without quotes) then press enter. Now delete the 'acer-search-desktop' file and copy the 'acer-search-desktop.google' then open another file manager window (leave this one open) and paste it in the new one. Rename it 'acer-search-desktop.google' and then copy it. Go back to the other window (the one we left open) and paste it. Now close everything and restart. Proceed to 3.

3. Done! On reboot it should start up as normal but from now on the search bar should search Google! :D If u encounter any problems contact me but understand that I am not responsible if something goes wrong

Hope this helps,

wollac

wollac, Mar 22, 2009
  4. STKD

GvidoR

If it looks through Google I decided to give it a try.
    It works but it came out kind of messed up... :(

GvidoR, Mar 22, 2009
  5. STKD

wollac

did u use 1. or 2.??

wollac, Mar 22, 2009
  6. STKD

GvidoR

Never mind, I got it working! :D
    Thanks!

GvidoR, Mar 22, 2009
  7. STKD

wollac

cool, glad it worked for u!

wollac, Mar 22, 2009
  8. STKD

STKD

Been a little distracted (quad-booting XP/OSX/Linpus/7, planning on adding 2-3 more) but I'll try this out tomorrow. Thanks!

Edit: Worked fine, absolutely no trouble, thank you for taking the time to come up with the nicely-written guide/file. Much appreciated.

STKD, Mar 24, 2009
  9. STKD

sgtslwilson

This worked perfect for me too. The only gripe I have is that it not only opens google for whatever it is you searched for, but for me it opens like 5 other pages. How can I get that part to stop?

Thanks,
    Lance

sgtslwilson, Jun 6, 2009
  10. STKD

wollac

sorry i hav not been on the forum for months! i have not heard of this problem b4 and i don't know how to fix it? what browser r u using?

wollac, Sep 2, 2009
Ask a Question