Can someone recomend a dvd movie to DIVX converter for the l

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Katana, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Katana

Katana

linus aspire.

Would like to transfer some movies on to Divx so that I can watch them whilst out and about.

Thank you for the help.

Katana, Mar 12, 2009
  2. Katana

simbeb

I suppose you already have the divx codecs on your pc so download dvdshrink or smartripper to rip the DVD to your hard drive:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm

http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-Tools/CD-DVD-Rip-Other-Tools/SmartRipper.shtml

Then download Autogk and install the whole package:

http://www.autogk.me.uk/index.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=1

Rip the DVD to a folder on your hard drive, then load the .ifo file into AutogK, adjust the settings to your taste (codec, resolution, size etc...) and you get you Xvid or Divx film. I do it almost every day.

Now if you just want to load a DVD in your drive, click a button and obtain a divx, you'll probably need to pay for your software...

simbeb, Mar 12, 2009
  3. Katana

rbil

Why are you suggesting a Windoze program in a forum devoted to Linux?

Cheers.

rbil, Mar 12, 2009
  4. Katana

rhangman

Well they asked for DivX and their codecs are only available on Windows or OSX.
    Also, better to encode on a more powerful PC if possible and if their desktop were running Linux, then one would imagine that they would already have an idea about ripping DVD's.

If it were me, I'd convert to an XviD avi using mencoder. If you want a GUI you could try avidemux. If you are actually encoding on the Aspire, then you might also consider libavcodec's MPEG-4 encoder, since it should be faster.

rhangman, Mar 13, 2009
  5. Katana

Katana

Morning

the linpus is my most powerful computer, I'd have thought someone would have a program to do it in linux and not windows.

Katana, Mar 13, 2009
  6. Katana

simbeb

If Linpus is your OS and the AA1 your most powerful PC, you might want to forget about encoding video. Have someone with a proper PC do it for you...

simbeb, Mar 13, 2009
  7. Katana

rhangman

Back in the day, I used to rip DVD's on a tbird 800. Just need to leave it to encode whilst you are sleeping or out.

If you have a decent internet connection, then faster to just to download a rip. In terms of fair use; ripping vs. downloading for the purpose of format shifting are about the same.

rhangman, Mar 13, 2009
  8. Katana

Guest Guest

I recommend dvd::rip if you're using Linux. I have Ubuntu Intrepid with Gnome desktop running on my AA1. dvd::rip is in the ubuntu apt repositories and I'm certain its available for other distributions. This is an all-in-one software solution that takes it from DVD to DIVX. Very easy to use.

Guest, Mar 14, 2009
Ask a Question