Can I use a 2.0 Flash Drive (8GB)?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by steppiemum, Jul 26, 2008.

1. steppiemum

steppiemum

My little Acer will arrive on Monday. My plan is to take it traveling for internet usage and photo editing and storage. The storage is what I was hoping to use the flash drive for. Now, if inserting an SD card will increase memory, wouldn't a flash drive do the same thing--kind of? I mean, I don't want to blow the thing up.

A related question about Picasa (photo editing) that I use all the time. I've read that Picasa has a version (2.6 or 2.7?) that is compatible with Linux. If I could download Picasa to this little darling, then as I edit photos every day, I can then send them to the flash drive.

Does this logic make sense?

Thanks for any help.

steppiemum, Jul 26, 2008
  2. steppiemum

Sid

Yes you can use 8Gb USB sticks (I do)
    But if you use the SDHC in the left hand slot, the internal logical drive is increased in size.

No idea on picassa, on Macs I use Lightroom, on the One I am using Photoshop express, I hear Gimp works OK.

Sid, Jul 26, 2008
  3. steppiemum

steppiemum

Thanks Sid! I appreciate the answer. It seemed logical that it should work. So, do you have the Acer Aspire One?

Chris

steppiemum, Jul 26, 2008
  4. steppiemum

Sid

Yes I have the blue One from PC World UK, a great device, when yours arrives I am sure you will enjoy it.
    I have a 16gb SDHC card in the left slot, it will be changed for a 32gb card when the price drops (about £100 at present).
    I have used pendrives from, Integral, Kingston, Dane-elec - they all work fine.

Where did you order your One from.

Sid, Jul 26, 2008
  5. steppiemum

steppiemum

Hi Sid,

I ordered mine from CDW. I was just shopping at Costco today (California) and found an 8 GB flash drive for $40. I thought that was a good deal.

What kind of photo editing software does the One have? Are there any good games?

I am so bloody excited about having this for travel. I can put all of the itinerary info on it. Keep a blog. Pre-write my emails and not spend a fortune and a ton of time at internet cafes. Handle the photos. I think it's going to be a huge addition to our travel.

Thanks for the info.

Chris

steppiemum, Jul 26, 2008
  6. steppiemum

loopyoyo

if its s usb stick then u can use any size...there is no limit.....i have a 2 gb ocz rally im using and the thing is about the fastest one on the market today

loopyoyo, Jul 26, 2008
  7. steppiemum

Sid

For photo work, I use Photoshop express (it is beta - web based)

http://app.photoshop.com/express/index.html

Gimp can also be used for image manipulation.

gthumbs is preinstalled on the One, cropping and rotation are possible using the tools option, and the image option lets you mess with the image. A tutorial is here http://linux.about.com/od/linux101/a/desktop06h.htm

enjoy

Sid, Jul 26, 2008
  8. steppiemum

Aypee

Hello,
    I use Picasa for Linux (2.7 version) and it runs well on the Aspire One. Picasa autodetects new medias and can import photos from SD cards (inserted in the multi-cart reader on the right of the Aspire) or USB sticks... ;)

Aypee, Jul 26, 2008
  9. steppiemum

steppiemum

Dear Aypee,

Hurray. I'm so glad that Picasa works on the One. See, I've never had a little computer with so little memory. I wasn't sure that it could handle the software for Picasa.

Thanks Syd for the info the photo software that is already installed.

I'm such a newbie with this stuff. I now have to set up a wireless router in this house. We have two PC's that are on a wired router. The learning curve continues!

Thanks again,
    Chris

steppiemum, Jul 26, 2008
  10. steppiemum

steppiemum

OK, I've got my One doing almost everything I want it to. However, when I tested exporting a photo from Picasa to my flash drive--I got nothing. It's as if the USB/flash drive isn't being read at all. The only option given is to choose something from "Desktop"--I see no way to access the USB port where the flash drive is.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
    Chris

steppiemum, Jul 29, 2008
Ask a Question