Can I uninstall a couple things. New AAO user!

Discussion in 'Windows' started by geazy, Jan 29, 2009.

1. geazy

geazy

System Clean up. Any reason why Intecdvd or inteldvd whatever it is and launch manager can't be uninstalled? i don't know why the dvd thing is there. I plan on watching movies but probably thru window media player and they are avi and mpeg mpg files. I don't even understand what launch manager does. what are your thoughts.

geazy, Jan 29, 2009
  2. geazy

darshie76

You are not the only one...i uninstalled Google software and Office trial, but there are so many services active on that machine that i have no clue about what should stay and what should be promptly removed, to save precious resources :)

darshie76, Feb 2, 2009
  3. geazy

maxpower2003

Yup, you can uninstall InterDVD. Launch Manager controls the function keys assigned to the F keys but I've heard you can uninstall it will no ill effects.

maxpower2003, Feb 2, 2009
  4. geazy

Firo

I also recommend you to disable programs you do not need from the start up - there is couple of (also free) programs which can do it (start up manager). Your computer will boot up much quicker and also will be working more effective not being overloaded with not needed applications.

Firo, Feb 2, 2009
  5. geazy

Peaty

Peaty, Feb 2, 2009
  6. geazy

DougHillman

While I've seen at least one claim supporting this, when I uninstalled Launch Manager, I lost my FN key functionality. Reinstalling it restored them.

DougHillman, Feb 2, 2009
  7. geazy

Firo

Agree with you, you have to be careful when uninstalling applications (and do not forget to make a restore point when doing changes) - I had the same issue with launch manager like just described. See also
    viewtopic.php?f=66&t=8810

Firo, Feb 3, 2009
  8. geazy

ayypoon

I've uninstalled Launch Manager by accident. Now I'm having problems with internet explorer. But MSN messnger works fine so it's not a network connection problem.

I want to re-install Launch Manager but I don't know how (sorry I'm not very good with computers)... can anyone help?

Thanks.

ayypoon, Feb 8, 2009
  9. geazy

Firo

Firo, Feb 8, 2009
  10. geazy

ayypoon

Thanks!

ayypoon, Mar 13, 2009
  11. geazy

GerryP

I'd like to "un-bloat" my new machine. Do not want to delete any installed progtrams that add even marginal value, but there is lots of pre-installed junk here. I plan on using Works or Open Office for simple wp and ss, Skype as my messanger and Avira (free) as my anti-virus software. Any possible reason to keep the following:

Adobe Air
    Intervideo WinDVD
    Microsoft .NET framework 1.1 and 2.0
    Microsoft SQL Server
    MSXML 4.0 SP2
    Windows Live (Essentials, Sign-in, Sync, Upload)

I'll not even ask the question about Office Trial, McAfee Trial, Carbonite Trial and some other (Info Mgr) Trial

Happy to get your advice

GerryP, Mar 20, 2009
  12. geazy

Firo

You are right, but you will need something to read pdf files (not sure if you do have adobe reader) - anyway I can recommend foxit reader. It is very nice and light application. There might be a case s you will need Microsoft .NET framework 1.1 and 2.0 Microsoft SQL Server, but I do not see a reason for keeping it in. But I do thing that not having msxml could have created some problems , because it is connected to java platform and during browsing internet you could have some error messages (not necessarilly). As far as Windows live, it it package of services like messanger or hotmail. Need of keeping this depends on what third party sofrware you are using. The same applies for intervideo DVD, becasue you need an application for playing videos, but not necassary this one.

Firo, Mar 21, 2009
  13. geazy

GerryP

Thanks.

Foxit is a good recommendation - Ive used it before. Once it's loaded can I delete Adobe Reader?

What does Adobe Air do? Do I need it?

I do not mind keeping IntervideoDVD for awhile since I have lots of free HD space, but I'd like to prevent it from starting up (and appearing in the System Tray) everytime I boot up. Is there an easy way to prevent this without messing with msconfig ?

GerryP, Mar 21, 2009
  14. geazy

Firo

I do not think you will need Adobe reader when having foxit reader, I am not using it at all. Concerning Adobe Air, I do not know how this application came to your computer, it is application designated for developers.

Firo, Mar 22, 2009
  15. geazy

dannybesana

how about google desktop? i would also like to uninstall interDVD since i have VL as my media player

dannybesana, Apr 11, 2009
  16. geazy

Firo

Feel free to do so, choice of a videosoftware is solely up to you, use what you are used to. The same applies for google desktop - might be useful for browsing internet, but I have uninstalled it, because had not seen any advantage for myself.

Firo, Apr 12, 2009
  17. geazy

Forone

Regarding:

Adobe Air - not needed unless you're runnning some of the new applications built on it, e.g. an eBay desktop client. I've uninstalled it, no problem.

MS .NET - again, depends on whether you want some of the functionality of apps that require it. I use the FileHippo software version updater and a couple of Microsoft utilities that repay the .NET resource use for me, e.g. SyncToy.

I also concur with FoxIt PDF reader recommendations, above. Acrobat Reader could be uninstalled but I've left it.

Overall, though, I'd have to say while deleting programs and unnecessary processes frees up some RAM and CPU, there's normally enough resources with or without these deletions to cover ordinary use of the machine. So I think the "crapware" thing can be a bit overrated in re actual performance. I've gotten much better performance boosts from using free CCleaner to clean out redundant files and registry entries, and some good free disk and registry defragmenters (Defraggle and Auslogics Registry Defrag) and from occasionally purging the Windows / Prefetch folder. Other major improvements in video performance was from disabling the "Power Saving" mode in the Atheros adapter, and browser performance using FireFox and IE tweaks, search the forum for how to.

Forone, Apr 12, 2009
Ask a Question