Can I overclock my 75h1 to at least 1.8 GHz?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Jello715, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Jello715

Jello715

Is it possible for me to overclock my Acer AO75h1 to at least 1.8 GHz? Because 1.33 GHz isn't enough to make my games run smoothly. Even flash games run slow :eek:

I have an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 500. I have an Intel Atom Z520 processor, and I'm pretty sure it's dual-core...not sure...

Thanks for the help in advance :D

Jello715, Sep 5, 2009
  2. Jello715

garrovick

You would also run the risk of destroying your chip, burn out parts of the mother board, significantly increase the risk of an acutal MB fire.

You also need a bigger more powerfull fan.

Plus over clocking increases the risk of major OS errors.

And of course experience in over clocking in a must for any sort of sucess. It's really pretty easy to permanetly birck your machine.

garrovick, Sep 5, 2009
  3. Jello715

Jello715

Okay, guess that was a bad idea :\

Thanks for the warning!

Jello715, Sep 5, 2009
  4. Jello715

RocketSpank

I overclock mine to 1.45ghz. I use SetFSB and it runs really smooth. I have tested oc'ing all the way up to 2.0ghz and found nothing but errors and crashes past the 1.6 mark. I run an average of 38 degrees, under heavy load, on it oc'd so heat is not a problem. I also have an underclock setting to run it down to 1.25 when speed is not necessary and battery life is needed. It adds about another 15-25 minutes on my battery to run it under.

Also, games on the AAO751h are not gonna happen. Some of the older games that don't require as much horsepower run ok. There are threads all over the place on what games will work and some that won't. :ugeek:

RocketSpank, Sep 8, 2009
  5. Jello715

Nick_in_Wash

Notice that this correlates well with the 30% overclock that the Asus eeepc 1101HA makes available that also uses the Z520 chip. Also notice that their overclock is only guaranteed if you use specific memory sticks (and there are only two companies parts that work) and the BIOS will not even allow the O/C if you don't have the right one.

More fundamentally, there are many examples of 751's that won't allow any O/C'ing at all. Couldn't even get to the 1.33gHz that the Z520 was designed for. I am willing to concede that setFSB isn't that easy to... set, but it is likely that all of the failures to launch were not entirely cockpit problems.

Nick_in_Wash, Sep 8, 2009
  6. Jello715

fr0zent3ars

can someone show me how to overclock my 751h to 1.4ghz? which lever am i suppose to use. i've never used at software overclocker before. please help.

jon

fr0zent3ars, Sep 15, 2009
  7. Jello715

hooya

I emailed Acer asking why my Acer is clocked at 1.24Ghz when they are advertised as 1.33GHz cpu? The first response I got was

"Regards to this query you will have to ring the software line for any assistance as this is a warranty support line for hardware faults only im afraid.

There number is 0906 706 8000 (they do not have email). This is a premium rate number and charged at 50p per minute. If an agent is not available then you will get an engaged tone and get cut off so you do not get charged or put in a que. If this happens then keep ringing until you get through
    "

I email again saying I should not have to pay 50pence a minute to get a simple answer to a simple question on a new producted just purchased. response was....

"The processor you have has speed step which means until you give the processor a more demanding application it will not increase the speed of the processor it will only use what frequency it needs to to run a that given application.

You can alter this through the front side bus in the bios but you would need third party software to do this and it is not something we could advise on you would need to call software support on 0906 706 8000."

but still no answer as to why.

Anyway, two questions I have for you guys.

1) Would "overclocking" it from 1.24 to the stated 1.33 make much difference.
    2) If I were to overclock how does one go about using setFSB to perform the task.

Cheers

edit: Note how they it's not something they can advise "you" on and then proceed to tell you to call a premium phone number.

hooya, Sep 16, 2009
  8. Jello715

garrovick

Games? It's a netbook!

99 percent of all "non-warranty" technical support for users wanting to modify a machine beyond factory specs in the computer world costs money.

And all over clocking procedures should only be done by experienced over clockers who have practiced on a machine that is sort of a test bed and no big deal if it gets bricked. Any thing over 10 percent is extremely dangerous for long term computer survival.

On the other hand, you could goggle up "over clocking" for the exact chip in your machine. Acer/Gateway/eMachines is all one family now.

garrovick, Sep 16, 2009
  9. Jello715

hooya

"99 percent of all "non-warranty" technical support for users wanting to modify a machine beyond factory specs in the computer world costs money."

Maybe but I wasn't asking for that. What I was asking for was a simple answer to why my brand new Acer is clocked at 1.24 rather than the 1.33 that should have been sold to me? I certainly do not think in this day and age one should have to pay most likely £5 (10 min call??) find out and discussing it. Reminds me of Dell's customer service a few years back.

Anyway that aside surely clocking it to the frequency stated 'on' the box surely shouldn't be a mjor issue. Or is it? I don't know. Thats what I am trying to find out.

Personally I don't think I should have to overclock my machine to the get the 1.33GHz. If I spoke to someone at Acer for free who answers honestly, even if they say, CPU frequencies are always/usually set a little below their max level at Acer, that would be better than not answering the question at all.

Question is is it worthy of returning it and getting something else? I am yet to decide.

hooya, Sep 16, 2009
  10. Jello715

DrNo

Hi hooya,

your 751 is probably set to 1,24 Ghz because you still have the Bios version 3202, this can be fixed by downloading and installing version 3206. Simply go to the Acer homepage, select "Support", then "Download Drivers", then select your operating system and download the new Bios installer.

Regards,

DrNo

DrNo, Sep 16, 2009
  11. Jello715

hooya

Cheers..sounds helpful. Will give it a go ts evening.

hooya, Sep 16, 2009
  12. Jello715

hooya

BIOS updated and still only maxes out at 1241.1 X10. You know for what I use the netbook for it's probably fine but
    I just do not like not understanding why it' set to 1.24 Ghz when they state 1.33Ghz. :?

hooya, Sep 16, 2009
  13. Jello715

fr0zent3ars

so far ive gotten the 751h to clock at 1.5ghz with no problem. ive been running prime95 for 18hrs no problem the temp stay around 48degrees C. is this temp too high?

fr0zent3ars, Sep 17, 2009
  14. Jello715

Felix[GER]

No Sir, the GeForce 8600M GT in my MacBookPro gets up to 92°C after playing a while. The two fans idle until reaching 80°C, that´s HOT! ;)

Felix[GER], Sep 17, 2009
  15. Jello715

RocketSpank

Ok... for those that haven't found out how to OC their 751h, this is what I do...
    ...But first, disclosure... I'm not responsible for any damage YOU cause to YOUR machine by doing this wrong. OC'ing too much can cause your computer to glitch out and crash. I did this a couple of times trying to find a reasonable speed. I run at 1.45Ghz with barely a hitch.

First, get two programs:

SetFSB (version x.88 is the one I use as I think the newer ones won't work correctly) Link
    CPU-z (to verify Clock speed) Link

Next, unzip/install these programs and the fun begins!

Start up SetFSB and choose ICS9LPRS365BGLF as the Clock Generator
    [​IMG]

Next, click on Get FSB
    [​IMG]
    After that, it should so you some information...

After that, just click the slider up and down, usually in small increments until you find one you like...
    Then click SetFSB
    [​IMG]

Lastly, Run cpu-z to double check your work.
    [​IMG]
    *Note, this netbook does have a speed step. Note my multiplier at 6.0x. When it is necessary, it will run at 10.0x. To fully test run a program that requires a bit more cpu... this will upstep the proc.*

Good luck and happy OC'ing. Just be careful.
    Remember, I run mine at 1.45ghz. Sometimes it crashes under extreme load, but 99.9% of the time it runs relatively smoothly.

RocketSpank, Sep 17, 2009
  16. Jello715

hooya

I understood most of that although I wasn't sure what levels to slide the sliders to? I am still not sure? What do the two different sliders mean?
    What do you mean "one you like"?

Thanks

edit: read it again and had a play and it makes sense now. Cheers.

hooya, Sep 17, 2009
  17. Jello715

RocketSpank

Just to clarify, the slider labeled #1 in the picture is the one you want to move. The #2 slider changes the bus speed of the pci-e bus.

To find one you like, I meant a bus speed that you are comfortable with.

RocketSpank, Sep 18, 2009
  18. Jello715

RocketSpank

Any more questions?

Also, if you do overclock, post back here and tell us what you are running at, whether it is stable, and the avg idle temp (get a program like speedfan to check).

I currently run at 1.45Ghz - stable - idle temp of about 45. (thinking of redoing the thermal paste/tape application. any one try it yet?)

RocketSpank, Sep 18, 2009
  19. Jello715

hooya

ran it at 1.33 last night with no problems but didn't check temp. Currently running at 1.24 at temp1: 30/ Core: 44 degrees . Will compare to when I run at 1.33

hooya, Sep 18, 2009
  20. Jello715

atomisslow

Question for the people at 1.45+: 1GB of ram or 2GB?

I crashed OCCT in 12 minutes at 1.45 a few days ago. Tried again with the new BIOS and 110mhz pcie as well and got 30 minutes before I declared it a victory and stopped the test, only to have firefox crash an hour later. Sitting at a lame 1.4ghz now. I'm really disappointed that I can't even get 100mhz out of this thing. Does anyone know if the ASUS increases Vcore when overclocking through the BIOS?

atomisslow, Oct 4, 2009
Ask a Question