Can I/How to install PCLinuxOS and/or Mandriva Linux on AA1?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Waterbirdx, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Waterbirdx

Waterbirdx

Waterbirdx, Aug 16, 2008
  2. Waterbirdx

hmraao

hmraao, Aug 29, 2008
  3. Waterbirdx

Waterbirdx

Thanks for replying!

Waterbirdx, Sep 21, 2008
  4. Waterbirdx

melhiore

Obviously always is a cheaper version: Instead of paying 59Euro for Mandriva you can download Mandriva 2008.1 for free and buy external CD/DVD drive for about £20... The same type of installation is related to PcLinux.

There is only one problem with installation from USB - sometimes is not working properly due to "wrong" type of pendrive etc. Installation from CD/DVD drive will avoid all this problems...

melhiore, Sep 21, 2008
  5. Waterbirdx

scottro

Mandriva seems quite problematic to install from a pen drive. There's an open bug at unetbootlin about how how Mandriva doesn't work with it. I also tried some instructions about simply installing it to a pen drive, including grub, but simply got an error 17 when trying to boot from the stick. I don't know if it's by design, to push their own flash drive distribution or not.

However, as said, I suspect that using an external CD drive will easily solve the problem. It depends how badly you want to use Mandriva if the cost is worth it or not--it's probably about the same price to buy the flash drive installation and support Mandriva rather than an external drive. Of course, the external drive will make everything else easier, so is probably a more useful investment.

scottro, Sep 21, 2008
Ask a Question